Quicken won't load from icon or program file

Options
Scott M.
Scott M. Member
Hi

Running Windows 11 with subscription version of Quicken Premier. Running fine till about 2 days ago.

Problem: Click Quicken icon (or select program .exe file) and Quicken fails to launch. I click the icon (or executable file) then it goes to the page for entering my password to open the data file . It then went to a blank page (no dashboard, data etc). I could see in task manager that Quicken was running but nothing on my screen(i.e. no data file loaded and visual to me)

Solutions (?): I uninstalled Quicken through Windows and manually deleted every file I could find with Quicken in it. I then reinstalled a new Quicken Premier from the website and restored a backup file (dated before the problem occurred.)

Quicken worked for about 20 minutes. As I reasoned possibly there was some problem centered around the page requesting my password to open the data file, I removed the password protection for my data file. to eliminate that option. I logged out and was able to get Quicken to load upon logging in. Hooray thought the problem was solved.

Tried logging in later in the day . I clicked and took about 20 seconds for Quicken to load. I thought very lucky but seems to be working. Logged off and then tried to log back in and same problem as prior to the reinstall!! I would click the Quicken icon or attempt tp manually execute the program and Quicken failed to go to dashboard but instead goes to a blank page with Windows task manager showing me Quicken is active!!

Seems like it is loading Quicken but then can't proceed to the next step with loading a data file into Quicken.

I run Norton anti viral but disabled it for all these attempts so does not appear to be the issue. I also have Windows Defender turned off.

Any ideas???
Thanks

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'd suggest that you contact Q Support, via link at the top of this page.  Allow them to screen-share with you (they can look but not touch) to try to identify where the problem is.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Scott M.
    Scott M. Member
    Options
    Thank you. Will do if no users have a fix. Hate to contact support but yes screen share would help ""illustrate" the issue to support
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @scott m.  Why did you reject my reply and then say that a screen share would help.???

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Scott M.
    Scott M. Member
    Options
    Sorry new to discussion. Thank you for the comment
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Is the size of your data file growing while you see the blank Quicken screen? If so, try setting the computer date to a date earlier than when the problem began and try opening Quicken once again. If that works, it indicates a corrupted or runaway reminder. 

The bad reminder will have copied itself to a large number of transactions. You'll want to delete the bad reminder and the extra transactions. Then set your computer date back to current date and the file should open normally. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Scott M.
    Scott M. Member
    Options
    Thank you, I found the issue. My Quicken file had moved to the path : this PC /Documents/quicken and been removed from this PC/local disc C/ users/ my name/documents/quicken. I merely copied the quicken file from the incorrect path and placed it where it should be and all is well.
    Not sure why it moved.
    Thanks for all the comments
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Those should be the same path.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
This discussion has been closed.