Why is Quicken's support UNABLE to correct the "maximum datasets" error?

Options
Frustrated_
Frustrated_ Member ✭✭
After numerous phone calls to Quicken Support, spending more than a full work day in time with support, they have still been unable to resolve this "You have exceeded the maximum datasets" error. This makes Quicken deadweight on my PC. It is useless. Each support call claimed to resolve the issue, which seemed okay (but with other issues still unresolved), until this "maximum datasets" error came up again hours (or a couple of days) later. This is a joke. The support agent on each phone call assured me that the unnecessary datasets had been deleted. (Obviously NOT!!!!!) I must really question whether Quicken is up to the task of supporting its own product. Why in God's name does this keep happening, when I am REPEATEDLY REASSURED the problem has been finally resolved? Why can't I use Quicken as it is intended to be used, without having to interrupt my schedule day in and day out to play the "tech guru" and try to fill in where Quicken's shortcomings have become painfully obvious? If anything caused these errors to suddenly show up (when I had never seen them before in my use of Quicken since going back to at least 2005 to just a couple of weeks ago), it was support directing me to keep DEACTIVATING and REACTIVATING my accounts, repeatedly, because I was getting phony CC503 errors which told me my financial institution has "told" Quicken that my login information was incorrect. If Quicken support cannot conduct itself like a responsible financial software company, then I will move on. (All of my rights and remedies against Quicken and its parent companies and all others who may be liable for my damages are expressly reserved.)

Best Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    How many times are you creating a backup and then restoring? Each time creates a new dataset. Why can't you make a template copy?
    My understanding is that the Restore creates the new dataset. If Backup created one, all of us would have run out decades ago. Backup is more convenient than Copy.
    So when I need to restore a backup, I rename it from .QDF-backup to .QDF (removing the date from the filename in the process) and open it, avoiding the Restore.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @Chris_QPW I can't imagine why you no longer use Quicken on a regular basis... 😂
    It's probably not what you think.  I have the luxury of being stubborn.

I really detest the whole idea of "aggregation" which is driven by the fact that the financial institution system could never standardize on a proper system.  I choose a totally illogical solution to a world that won't do the right logical thing, just because I can.

Even before the switch to Express Web Connect +/FDX was announced I had started consolidating most of my finances at Chase.  I'm retired and my finances are almost dead simple, and I don't really need Quicken. Quicken has been a "hobby" for me for several years now.

Some might be dropping Quicken because of all the problems, some for concern over their transactions and other information being store on servers.  For me, I just don't need the services and see no reason to keep up with such a system. 

Note I don't believe that FDX will be adopted by every financial institution, so the problems will remain, but more to the point is because they have created a complicated four-party system it will always have lots of problems.

In truth I'm one of the lucky ones.  Partly because I know what not to use, and partly because I know how to work around problems, but also for whatever reason I seem have better luck than most with systems like this working for me.  I could easily keep downloading and such but choose not to.  Maybe that is partly also because I can say "not working today" OK, I will try it some other time, and not be affected by that decision.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Frustrated_
    Frustrated_ Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Just want to post an update to explain that this problem has now been resolved -- no thanks to Q Support. I posted above that I had opened a new account (new user ID with a new paid subscription to the same service), Quicken Home & Business. I also mentioned that I was reluctant to try to resolve the "this account needs attention" issues with the new account using the old datafile, but that I had no issues at all using the new account with a new datafile. My reluctance to deactivate and reactivate the bank accounts with the new Quicken account was the result of my belief that the "maximum dataset" error was at least in part the result of deactivating and reactivating my financial institutions so many times in recent weeks, as requested by Q Support. I had also explained that using the new ID with a new datafile was free of issues, but I would have to recreate all my custom rules, categories and other customizations found uniquely in my old datafile.

Since that post, I went ahead and tried again using the new ID with the old datafile, and I went ahead and deactivated and reactivated my financial institutions, just to see if this would solve the problem. Well, I am happy to report it is solving the problem, and it has been a week since I have been running Quicken through my new ID with the old datafile -- and NO ERRORS of any kind. One step update is completing fine, as is Quicken on the Web and Quicken Mobile.

I will be asking Quicken to refund my subscription fee for the old account, last paid at the end of October, so I am still within the 30 days following the renewal. If they say they will let me, I want to keep this account open long enough to allow them to repair the issue that is still outstanding on the old account. After all, no one should have to get a new account just to resolve an issue as to which it is uniquely within Quicken's power to fix. Thanks to everyone for their input here; it is and was much appreciated.
  • Drinkingbird
    Drinkingbird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah I suspected that would work.  The datasets are completely online and are associated to an ID, so using your old file in your new ID shouldn't have any relation to that (shouldn't being the key word, I understand your reluctance).  Did you ever go in to the preferences and look at your list of online data sets on your old quicken ID?  Curious if you see hundreds there or if maybe they did in fact delete all the extras and it either takes a while to get rid of that error, or it has set a flag on your account that doesn't automatically reset and sort of locks it for good.

Deactivating and reactivating online services should not create a new dataset.  Restoring a backup file, copying your file, renaming your file, etc can all create new data sets though.  So every now and then you can go in and delete all but your current one.  If you only have one quicken file, you should only ever need one data set.  Multiple would only be if you have several files.

Only suggestion I would have made was if you were going to redo all your online services anyway, create a copy (using the file copy function in quicken) which can really help clean up a file and fix bugs, then validate or super validate it before using it with the new account and setting up online services again.  Not sure if you did that or not, but sounds like you're good either way.

Answers

• Frustrated_
    Frustrated_ Member ✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Options
    [Removed - Duplicate]
  • Frustrated_
    Frustrated_ Member ✭✭
    Options
    The verbatim error was: "You have exceeded the maximum number of datasets. You cannot create a new dataset or continue to perform your current task at this time. Please contact Quicken Support at http://www.quicken.com/contact-support for help resolving this issue."
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @frustated - okay, so this is a community board; we are all here to help.  if you want help., please put the 'ranting' to the side; it won't help solve the problem

when do you get this maximum dataset error?  when you launch Q, download from a financial institution, randomly, etc......  please hold down the CNTL key and then click on Help>about quicken.  please post the results on the screen that appears. 

let's start there. 
  • Frustrated_
    Frustrated_ Member ✭✭
    Options
    I get it as soon as I try the "reset cloud" option in Edit/Preferences. From that point, it doesn't go away until support gets involved, and even then, it goes away ONLY until the next time I try to reset the cloud. I should also mention I have tried the Validate and Repair file option as well as the Super Validate -- there is nothing I can do on my end to put an end to this frustrating issue. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Quicken as well as creating a test file -- NOTHING works. I have the most recent version of Q, having run the mondo patch as instructed by Q support.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You should be able to make a template copy of your data file which disconnects all online services but creates a new Dataset ID. You would need to reestablish online services. I would suggest not syncing to the Quicken cloud if you're not using Mobile or Quicken on the Web.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Frustrated_
    Frustrated_ Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks, Greg, but I've tried that, too. It seems that the repeated deactivating and reactivation of my accounts is what caused this issue to arise. If I create a template now, i will be unable to add even one account back. (Already gone through this exercise with Q support.) My account is paralyzed until I contact support again. It is like having a suspended Q account, myself.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Options
    Creating a template copy will have all your accounts but with any online services disabled. The maximum dataset error is usually caused by numerous backup/restores of the data file. I would suggest trying the template copy with cloud sync disabled.
  • Frustrated_
    Frustrated_ Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you, Greg. I've tried several times to make a template copy with cloud sync disabled. NOTHING that I can do myself will fix this problem. It is only after Q support gets involved that anything happens. They claim to have deleted the datasets in my account, but evidently, this is not what they are doing. Maybe they are deleting just one prior dataset, but the system is creating more, each time I do backup and restore data. The error keeps returning. This has been doing on for two weeks already. I need mobile and web Quicken to function normally, so even if I were successful at stopping these errors, I lose more than 50% of my Q functionality. This is completely unacceptable. My only option at this juncture seems to be to close my current account and consider opening a fresh new account with a new email address. I don't know of any reason why this wouldn't solve the issues, as the issues seem to be related to my account -- not to the data file.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Options
    How many times are you creating a backup and then restoring? Each time creates a new dataset. Why can't you make a template copy?
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My understanding is that the Restore creates the new dataset. If Backup created one, all of us would have run out decades ago. Backup is more convenient than Copy.
    So when I need to restore a backup, I rename it from .QDF-backup to .QDF (removing the date from the filename in the process) and open it, avoiding the Restore.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Greg_the_Geek
    Options
    I did mean how many times did the OP restore their data file. I've always changed the file extension instead of restoring.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Here are some things you might not be aware of:
    1. Every data file has a unique Id in it that connects it to the cloud dataset.
    2. Creating a template data file, creates the new data file with a different unique Id, so it will not be connected to the same cloud dataset.
    3. For quite a while now the restore function has been creating a new cloud dataset every time you run it.  So, it is no longer suggested that you use restore for anything other than recovery from problems.  In fact, it might be better decision to instead just rename a .QDF-backup file to .QDF and open it in place instead of using restore at all (make sure you keep a copy of the original .QDF-backup file).  I'm not sure if there is really any situation where it is better to allow the Restore to do the "sync back" from the cloud dataset.  Maybe in some cases it might matter if user is using sync to Mobile/Web.  And note that there seems to be some kind of company policy on the cloud datasets, that they can't be removed unless you tell the Quicken Support people to do it.  Coupled with the limit on them, and the fact that in situations like using Restore creating a cloud dataset you have this mess.
    4. Personally because of all the problems sync to Mobile/Web seems to have caused for people, I wouldn't recommend it, but that would be separate decision.
    One thing that isn't really clear to me is if the limit of datasets is per data file or per Quicken Id.  I tend to believe it is per data file, not Quicken Id, the real proof on that would be if you run into the problem, and then create a template data file, and that templated data file works without the limit error.
    Signature:
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    as a separate matter, what is the value of mobile / cloud?  Isn't using the app from a bank a better option?  That is the real time banking information without the handoff that Quicken introduces??? I've never used it, but may be I am missing something.... for instance, I use BofA and their webapp for all my banking needs.  Quicken just acts as good old- check register as well as a reporting application.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Mark1104 I don't use it or recommend it, but I can list a couple of things that would be useful if wasn't so problematic.

A mobile App from your financial institution will most likely only have the accounts from that one financial institution (even a few do allow for "aggregation" sometimes).  The Quicken Mobile/Web is a more complete view of all that you have in Quicken.

Another feature for the people that like to pre-enter their transactions and then match them.  You can enter them on the mobile/Web App and have them sync to the Quicken Desktop data file.
    Signature:
  • Frustrated_
    Frustrated_ Member ✭✭
    Options
    Chris, I understand that the dataset is tied to the user id -- NOT to the data file. This was made clear to me when I asked support today if I could close my account and open a new account with a new email and user ID -- I inquired if I could use my existing data file and whether the dataset error was tied to the data file or to the user ID. I was expressly told the dataset error is tied to the USER ID so that the error would not follow me over to a new USER ID. Support has ONCE AGAIN cleared the dataset error for the time being, but if it returns, this account will be history. Meanwhile -- new issue -- I cannot add back my Bank of America accounts after Q support told me to reactivate them and add them back -- not happening after 4 hours of attempts. I am repeatedly getting an error that says "This is not your fault" and to try again later (or download directly from bank website, etc.)
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Frustrated_ That is great information.  I was never sure if it was a Quicken Id or data file limitation, and it is good to know for the future.
    Signature:
  • Frustrated_
    Frustrated_ Member ✭✭
    Options
    @Chris_QPW I can't imagine why you no longer use Quicken on a regular basis... 😂
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    It's probably not what you think.  I have the luxury of being stubborn.

I really detest the whole idea of "aggregation" which is driven by the fact that the financial institution system could never standardize on a proper system.  I choose a totally illogical solution to a world that won't do the right logical thing, just because I can.

Even before the switch to Express Web Connect +/FDX was announced I had started consolidating most of my finances at Chase.  I'm retired and my finances are almost dead simple, and I don't really need Quicken. Quicken has been a "hobby" for me for several years now.

Some might be dropping Quicken because of all the problems, some for concern over their transactions and other information being store on servers.  For me, I just don't need the services and see no reason to keep up with such a system. 

Note I don't believe that FDX will be adopted by every financial institution, so the problems will remain, but more to the point is because they have created a complicated four-party system it will always have lots of problems.

In truth I'm one of the lucky ones.  Partly because I know what not to use, and partly because I know how to work around problems, but also for whatever reason I seem have better luck than most with systems like this working for me.  I could easily keep downloading and such but choose not to.  Maybe that is partly also because I can say "not working today" OK, I will try it some other time, and not be affected by that decision.
    Signature:
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Chris_QPW - I am in a similar boat.... Quicken is more of a hobby to me. 

If all your banking is at one institution, then aggregation is not that important.  In this day and age, why have banking at multiple institutions?  When Quicken really got going 30 years ago, there was no online banking or smartphones that makes banking so much more convenient and simplier than it was back then (which conversely makes Quicken less valuable). 

The banks also weren't as focused on security issues, which they are today, which gets us to the EWC+ issues. 

And given all the more convenient payment methods (auto-debit, acceptance of credit cards by billers, Zelle, etc.), even Billpay is not as valuable.  

Ever notice most who post are 20-30 year users and infrequently (if ever!) does someone post that are a relatively new user (and I'll accept anyone using quicken for less than 5 years as a new user) - what does that say about the Quicken customer base - dying off if you ask me (me included as a 28 year user).......and that Quicken itself is becoming an obsolete product in the modern world. 
  • Frustrated_
    Frustrated_ Member ✭✭
    Options
    I spent another couple of hours on Thursday on the phone with upper level support, after a 2 day wait for a call back, which came when expected. Pablo of upper level support told me that he repaired the dataset error, and it did appear to be fixed (for a short time). Pablo also reassured me there were only 2 datasets left in my account by the end of our phone call. Our call took a while, because we were also reviewing my inability to add certain accounts to the cloud (AmEx, Citi, and Wells Fargo). He said someone would e-mail as to this separate problem; that the issue had been expedited, and I would be informed as to steps I should take. The call ended Friday afternoon, and I was confident this "maximum dataset error" would not return. But 2 hours later, it did. My account is again paralyzed. It is truly sad that Quicken is unable to support its own product. The call on Friday marked my 4th or 5th time Quicken was unable to permanently fix the "maximum dataset" error. By "permanently," I mean only to repair my account so I can use it normally -- as financial software is reasonably intended to be used by any reasonable consumer. I have tried EVERY suggestion made to resolve this issue that has been made by members here. NOTHING I have read is new and NOTHING has helped me. Any final suggestions before I close my account?
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options
    Hello @Frustrated_,

I have sent you a direct message, please navigate to the inbox in the top right-hand corner of the Community page and check your inbox.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Frustrated_
    Frustrated_ Member ✭✭
    Options
    My post, above, referenced a call on Friday. My mistake, the call was Thursday, November 10th. Sorry for this error.
  • Frustrated_
    Frustrated_ Member ✭✭
    Options
    I just wanted to comment on what I have attempted since my last post in connection with this discussion. Late last week I started to receive the "maximum datasets" error once again. Because Quicken has not been able to fix this error as of the present time, I opened a new account in furtherance of attempting to determine and/or isolate the problem. I then began using the new account both with and without the existing data file. With the existing data file I was able to use Quicken without the annoying "maximum dataset" errors. (This was expected.) I was also able to run one step update without any errors and with no problem. However, I did observe that Quicken on the Web and Mobile Quicken appeared to have problems with this existing datafile. All or almost all of the existing accounts, numbering 39, had errors and the apps (mobile and web) were reporting these accounts needed attention. I did NOT deactivate and reactivate the accounts (as the apps had suggested.) Next, I moved the datafile out of the directory it was in so I could avoid using it again or overwriting it for the time being. I created a new datafile in the location where the old one had been, and I added the financial institutions to this new datafile using the new account. (All were added smoothly without problems.) I synced this new datafile to the cloud and checked the account list on mobile and web. No errors!!! I conclude from this experiment that there is definitely a major problem with my old account, and POSSIBLY a problem with the old datafile, as well, which could be further defined by attempting to deactivate and reactivate all of my accounts and then checking mobile and web to see if there are still problems or if all the errors are gone (using the new account with the old datafile). I have not done so yet, because until Quicken can determine and get rid of the dataset error, I am concerned it may reappear. Comments will be greatly appreciated.
  • Frustrated_
    Frustrated_ Member ✭✭
    Options
    Another Q support session finished just now. The agent got me up and running for purposes of one step update, but SYNC is turned off -- otherwise, the "maximum datasets" error will return. I am grateful for the agent's courtesy and help in this regard; however, leaving SYNC turned off means I am unable to use Mobile or Web, except with the new account (see above), which allows me to add all of my FIs and allows for both error-free one step updates as well as error-free Mobile and Web use. So, why not just close this account and use the new account exclusively? Two reasons: The underlying problem is still there -- so maybe I will not experience it any time soon, but other Q customers might, and if so, they will become at least as frustrated as I have become, not to mention that invariably, I will experience this issue in the future if Q does not fix it; second, I have NUMEROUS renamed and added categories as well as highly complex reports that required a huge time investment, and I would need to reinvent the report formats (shells) and manually add the many new categories I use in the old account, which I estimate would take me approximately 6 months of time!! This is not an acceptable alternative for the long term. And, of course, paying for 2 accounts is not exactly what I had in mind when I first signed up for Quicken. Comments welcome!!
  • Drinkingbird
    Drinkingbird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Another Q support session finished just now. The agent got me up and running for purposes of one step update, but SYNC is turned off -- otherwise, the "maximum datasets" error will return. I am grateful for the agent's courtesy and help in this regard; however, leaving SYNC turned off means I am unable to use Mobile or Web, except with the new account (see above), which allows me to add all of my FIs and allows for both error-free one step updates as well as error-free Mobile and Web use. So, why not just close this account and use the new account exclusively? Two reasons: The underlying problem is still there -- so maybe I will not experience it any time soon, but other Q customers might, and if so, they will become at least as frustrated as I have become, not to mention that invariably, I will experience this issue in the future if Q does not fix it; second, I have NUMEROUS renamed and added categories as well as highly complex reports that required a huge time investment, and I would need to reinvent the report formats (shells) and manually add the many new categories I use in the old account, which I estimate would take me approximately 6 months of time!! This is not an acceptable alternative for the long term. And, of course, paying for 2 accounts is not exactly what I had in mind when I first signed up for Quicken. Comments welcome!!

Not sure if you've tried any of this.  Back up your file before doing this.

Optional step 1 - Do a file copy (from within quicken) which will disconnect all of your online services and create a new file with all your data.  This may be overkill, but if you're willing to re-setup all your online services, this can resolve some issues and it does some internal cleanup on the file too, sort of a "defragment".  Close out quicken and go back in.  Open the new copied file (you may have to sign in, can't remember), and do a super validate with everything checked.  Don't set up any online services yet.

When that is done (or if you don't want to do that and just want to try resetting your data set), go to preferences -> quicken ID & cloud -> sign in as different user and confirm.  This will sign you out.

Close quicken.

Open quicken, start a new file, just call it test or whatever.  Sign in with with your quicken ID.  Cancel out of any add account prompts so you are at a blank new file.  Go to preferences -> mobile & web.  Enable synch if it isn't already.  Close out of preferences, then go back into preferences again.  On the Quicken ID & Cloud accounts, click the option to manage your data sets.  Delete them all (except the test one which is your current file, probably won't let you delete it).  Now sign out of that file using the same process as step 1.  Close quicken.

Go into your quicken data folder, delete the test file and anything else in there including .dat files, leaving just the new copied version of your main file.  Rename that copied file to your original file name (if you did the copy step, if not the file already has the correct name).

Open Quicken again

This time open your main file and sign in.  Go into preferences, make sure synch is on and the accounts you want are selected.  Do a one step update, which will recreate your data set from scratch.  You can also now delete the "test" data set within preferences while you're at it if you want.  Now re-set up online services for all your accounts (if you did the file copy in step 1) and synch again.
  • Drinkingbird
    Drinkingbird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Options

Another option since you already set up a new ID and apparently paid for a new quicken subscription?  This might be a better path:

Do the file copy process on your main file while logged into your old account.  Then sign out of your quicken ID using the "change ID" process.
    Close quicken, rename the copied file back to original name, delete all other files from that folder, and reopen quicken
    Sign into the file with your NEW ID, but don't synch/update anything yet.
    Do the super validate
    Close and reopen quicken
    Enable synch, select your accounts and do a synch/update.
    Re-enable online services for all your accounts, synch/update again
    You can check under "quicken id and online" and delete any extra data sets, probably just 1 or 2 in there.
    Ask quicken support to either cancel your old ID and refund, or cancel it and apply the remaining time to your new account, since you had to create the new account to resolve their issue.

If the issue persists, maybe you have too many accounts or something?
  • Cheryl Templeton
    Options
    I am having the same issue, even deleted old client Quicken files from my pc. This issue started when I updated Quicken. I now have a new client and I can not add the bank account.
    Mikki
  • Frustrated_
    Frustrated_ Member ✭✭
    Options
    @Drinkingbird I believe I've tried your recommendations -- and I thank you for setting this out at length! What I don't understand is what exactly you mean by datsets. You reference deleting data sets...
    > You can check under "quicken id and online" and delete any extra data sets, probably just 1 or 2 in there.

I have, myself, deleted the data FILES I was no longer using, but data sets are something else. I was getting a disabling error message that prevented me from using any of the cloud based Quicken services. On several occasions, Q support told me they had deleted the 200+ data sets associated with my user ID, but that, evidently, was not actually done, because I kept getting the message that "maximum number of data sets" had been reached and I could not create anymore. This problem prevented me from using the cloud for anything at all, whether for a data set I might have tried to create or when I was using only my existing resources and data. I have never known how to delete a data set, as compared to a data file, which we can easily delete. I believe data sets refers to something internal which only Q Support can remove -- and even then, apparently, they have quite an issue even doing that! This is evidenced by the fact they had told me numerous times the "maximum dataset error" message should not come back, as they had "deleted all but 2 data sets" from my account. In a short time, I would again learn there were hundreds of data sets associated with my Quicken ID.

However, I have now resolved this problem, which I will explain separately in my comment that follows. Again, thank you very much for your time in responding to this. The one thing I take away from this very distasteful experience is that the "maximum dataset" error is something which is tied to the user's account, and NOT to a data set file or datafile, as we call them. Thanks, again!
  • Drinkingbird
    Drinkingbird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Options
    @Drinkingbird I believe I've tried your recommendations -- and I thank you for setting this out at length! What I don't understand is what exactly you mean by datsets. You reference deleting data sets...
    > You can check under "quicken id and online" and delete any extra data sets, probably just 1 or 2 in there.

I have, myself, deleted the data FILES I was no longer using, but data sets are something else. I was getting a disabling error message that prevented me from using any of the cloud based Quicken services. On several occasions, Q support told me they had deleted the 200+ data sets associated with my user ID, but that, evidently, was not actually done, because I kept getting the message that "maximum number of data sets" had been reached and I could not create anymore. This problem prevented me from using the cloud for anything at all, whether for a data set I might have tried to create or when I was using only my existing resources and data. I have never known how to delete a data set, as compared to a data file, which we can easily delete. I believe data sets refers to something internal which only Q Support can remove -- and even then, apparently, they have quite an issue even doing that! This is evidenced by the fact they had told me numerous times the "maximum dataset error" message should not come back, as they had "deleted all but 2 data sets" from my account. In a short time, I would again learn there were hundreds of data sets associated with my Quicken ID.

However, I have now resolved this problem, which I will explain separately in my comment that follows. Again, thank you very much for your time in responding to this. The one thing I take away from this very distasteful experience is that the "maximum dataset" error is something which is tied to the user's account, and NOT to a data set file or datafile, as we call them. Thanks, again!

Data sets are your online data, as opposed to your data file which is on your PC.  Even if you have synch disabled, you have at least one data set if you use online services.  Anytime you restore a file, copy a file, etc it can create a new data set online.  You can access and delete these by going to Preferences -> Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts -> Then there is a link you can click there to manage your data sets.  Note the link will only show if you have more than 1 dataset, which it sounds like you definitely did.  Also it will only show if you have synch enabled on the Mobile & Web tab in preferences.  Sounds like you have it enabled already but if not, you have to enable it, exit out of preferences, then go back into preferences and the link will now be there.  Once you go to that link you can delete all of the data sets which are not currently active, leaving just 1.

There is also a link on that same screen to "reset online data" but that will just refresh the currently active dataset.

But since you created a new account and sounds like you purchased a new subscription on that account, probably makes sense to use that one and just ask support to transfer the remaining time from your old account to your new account.  Sounds like the old one may be pretty hosed.

Have a look at this link
    https://www.quicken.com/support/how-edit-or-delete-your-cloud-datasets-quicken-windows
  • Drinkingbird
    Drinkingbird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I am having the same issue, even deleted old client Quicken files from my pc. This issue started when I updated Quicken. I now have a new client and I can not add the bank account.
    Mikki

Dataset is different than files on your PC.  Have a look at this link and see if you have old/duplicated online datasets that you can remove

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-edit-or-delete-your-cloud-datasets-quicken-windows
This discussion has been closed.