Why is Quicken's support UNABLE to correct the "maximum datasets" error?

Options
2»

Answers

• Frustrated_
    Frustrated_ Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Just want to post an update to explain that this problem has now been resolved -- no thanks to Q Support. I posted above that I had opened a new account (new user ID with a new paid subscription to the same service), Quicken Home & Business. I also mentioned that I was reluctant to try to resolve the "this account needs attention" issues with the new account using the old datafile, but that I had no issues at all using the new account with a new datafile. My reluctance to deactivate and reactivate the bank accounts with the new Quicken account was the result of my belief that the "maximum dataset" error was at least in part the result of deactivating and reactivating my financial institutions so many times in recent weeks, as requested by Q Support. I had also explained that using the new ID with a new datafile was free of issues, but I would have to recreate all my custom rules, categories and other customizations found uniquely in my old datafile.

Since that post, I went ahead and tried again using the new ID with the old datafile, and I went ahead and deactivated and reactivated my financial institutions, just to see if this would solve the problem. Well, I am happy to report it is solving the problem, and it has been a week since I have been running Quicken through my new ID with the old datafile -- and NO ERRORS of any kind. One step update is completing fine, as is Quicken on the Web and Quicken Mobile.

I will be asking Quicken to refund my subscription fee for the old account, last paid at the end of October, so I am still within the 30 days following the renewal. If they say they will let me, I want to keep this account open long enough to allow them to repair the issue that is still outstanding on the old account. After all, no one should have to get a new account just to resolve an issue as to which it is uniquely within Quicken's power to fix. Thanks to everyone for their input here; it is and was much appreciated.
  • Drinkingbird
    Drinkingbird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    Yeah I suspected that would work.  The datasets are completely online and are associated to an ID, so using your old file in your new ID shouldn't have any relation to that (shouldn't being the key word, I understand your reluctance).  Did you ever go in to the preferences and look at your list of online data sets on your old quicken ID?  Curious if you see hundreds there or if maybe they did in fact delete all the extras and it either takes a while to get rid of that error, or it has set a flag on your account that doesn't automatically reset and sort of locks it for good.

Deactivating and reactivating online services should not create a new dataset.  Restoring a backup file, copying your file, renaming your file, etc can all create new data sets though.  So every now and then you can go in and delete all but your current one.  If you only have one quicken file, you should only ever need one data set.  Multiple would only be if you have several files.

Only suggestion I would have made was if you were going to redo all your online services anyway, create a copy (using the file copy function in quicken) which can really help clean up a file and fix bugs, then validate or super validate it before using it with the new account and setting up online services again.  Not sure if you did that or not, but sounds like you're good either way.
  • Frustrated_
    Frustrated_ Member ✭✭
    Options
    I did many validates and super-validates, so the data file was good. I never saw online more than 3 datasets under my old Quicken ID, so I don't know how they were seeing more than 200, but it was definitely possible, inasmuch as I have been using Quicken since 2005 or earlier. For the benefit of others that might encounter this problem, I just hope Quicken Support fixes the issue, but as for me, I'm just glad I don't have to deal with it anymore -- for at least another few years or longer!

> @Drinkingbird said:
    > or if maybe they did in fact delete all the extras and it either takes a while to get rid of that error, or it has set a flag on your account that doesn't automatically reset and sort of locks it for good.

That's an interesting point -- I sure wish Quicken knew what actually happened to my old account so just maybe they could prevent it from happening again with me or with other customers.
  • Drinkingbird
    Drinkingbird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I did many validates and super-validates, so the data file was good. I never saw online more than 3 datasets under my old Quicken ID, so I don't know how they were seeing more than 200, but it was definitely possible, inasmuch as I have been using Quicken since 2005 or earlier. For the benefit of others that might encounter this problem, I just hope Quicken Support fixes the issue, but as for me, I'm just glad I don't have to deal with it anymore -- for at least another few years or longer!

Doing the file copy from within quicken actually can fix a lot of stuff that Validates won't.  I actually try to avoid doing too many validates as it can cause its own problems, but there are times when it can't be avoided.

You wouldn't have datasets from before like 2015 or whenever they started offering cloud services.

But who knows, the error could have been caused by some totally different problem and just using the max data sets message.  
This discussion has been closed.