Portfolio x-ray not pulling ticker for Accenture for mutual funds

Options
mfstarnes
mfstarnes Member ✭✭
edited December 2022 in Investing (Windows)
I have shares of Accenture but the x-ray doesn't include with Accenture from mutual funds. I realized the x-ray isn't showing the ticker symbol (ACN) on the mutual funds it finds in my portfolio, so i assume that's why my shares aren't being included. has anyone seen this with a common ticker?

Answers

• mfstarnes
    mfstarnes Member ✭✭
    Options
    I should note, it's the only company in the 50 stocks in the x-ray that doesn't have a stock symbol. thx
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In Tools / Security List, what is the Security Type for this security?
    It should be Mutual Fund or Stock, but NEVER Market Index. The latter is reserved for true market indices like Dow Jones, S&P, etc.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If I understand your issue correctly, you hold shares of Accenture (ACN) directly and you also have mutual funds that include ACN. When you look at the Stock Intersection section of the X-Ray, you see your direct holdings of ACN but not those in your mutual funds. Is that correct?

Do you see the mutual fund holdings of other companies? If not, make sure the mutual funds and the accounts that hold them are included in the X-Ray analysis.

Also note that Morningstar's Stock Intersection only includes the top 50 holdings of mutual funds. If ACN is not one of the 50 largest holdings of a fund, that fund will not be included in the Intersection.

But I ran the Stock intersection on Morningstar's website for a portfolio that should include ACN in its mutual funds and it was not present. That looks like an issue with Morningstar's data.

QWin Premier subscription
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I am not clear on what you are getting at. I suspect you are looking at the “stock intersection” portion of the x-ray view, that you own ACN as a stock and also believe some mutual funds you own also hold ACN. You expect to see ACN in that intersection, but you are not seeing what you expect to see.

Does the Accenture security in the Quicken security list (Ctrl-Y) include the Accenture security with the ticker ACN?  If not, add that ticker to that security.  (I would copy the prices to the new ticker and delete the old prices.)

If Accenture (ACN) is not showing up at all in the intersection view, it may be that it is not in the top 50 overall holdings.  

If Accenture shows in the intersection view, but your stock holding does not (after adding the ticker to the security), make sure the Accounts selection for the view includes the correct accounts.  

Beyond those thoughts, please try to clarify what you are and are not seeing.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have found that the X-Ray portfolio doesn't know about a great deal of different securities.  In fact, it knows nothing about any of mine.  For instance, VTI, not exactly an obscure security!
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • mfstarnes
    mfstarnes Member ✭✭
    Options
    VTI is an ETF, rather than a stock or mutual fund, and I've seen the same behavior you have with ETFs. I'm just confused why a stock wouldn't have the ticker listed with the name.
  • Jim_Harman
    edited November 2022
    Options
    mfstarnes said:
    VTI is an ETF, rather than a stock or mutual fund, and I've seen the same behavior you have with ETFs. I'm just confused why a stock wouldn't have the ticker listed with the name.
    Where is the ticker not listed - in Quicken? In the Interpreter section of the X-Ray?

[Edit] I mentioned above that it appeared that the Stock Intersection did not include ACN, but today it is included. For example if I analyze just VTI, it is between Disney and Broadcom, where it belongs.
  • Jim_Harman
    Options
    Chris_QPW said:
    I have found that the X-Ray portfolio doesn't know about a great deal of different securities.  In fact, it knows nothing about any of mine.  For instance, VTI, not exactly an obscure security!
    @Chris_QPW,
    I do not see any issue with the X-Ray analyzing VTI. If I select just that in the Securities selection for the X-Ray, it shows its asset allocation correctly and in the Stock Intersection it shows its holdings.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Chris_QPW said:
    @Chris_QPW,
    I do not see any issue with the X-Ray analyzing VTI. If I select just that in the Securities selection for the X-Ray, it shows its asset allocation correctly and in the Stock Intersection it shows its holdings.
    I just tried it again and ran into the "refresh problem" for the account setting!
    The reason it didn't show up for me is because the account wasn't selected even though it was set to All accounts.  I had to select that again to get it to show up.  I thought I had done that, but I guess I just reselected All securities by mistake.

It is showing now.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This seems to be the issue the OP (@msftarnes) is seeing.

In this example, I hold some significant shares of ACN, some significant shares of the mutual fund VTSAX, and an insignificant share of VTI,  The Accenture holdings within the fund and ETF omit the ticker symbol and thus are not combined with the stock holding as presented in the Stock Intersection X-Ray view.  

In contrast, if I have a AVGO holding, the separate holding and mutual fund / ETF holdings do get properly combined.  (FWIW: My AVGO security in Quicken is not named Broadcom Inc (USD) but the Stock Intersection routine still matched up correctly using the ticker.)

That the Stock Intersection routine does not show the ACN ticker for the mutual find and ETF seems to be preventing the matchup.  It would be interesting to see what happens with other funds / ETFs that hold Accenture.
  • mfstarnes
    mfstarnes Member ✭✭
    Options
    Ah, that screenshot helps me, @q_lurker . I'm guessing the mutual funds hold the stock from the 'original' exchange, while mine is on US exchange, could that be it?

My direct holding of ACN isn't in my top 50 overall by itself. Not sure how you did the screenshot in the post, but the attached shows what i'm seeing.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I entered a fictional test transaction to force the ACN stock shares to show up in the same range as the MF/ETF holding.

I am skeptical about the 'original' exchange thought but have no other explanation.  Your snip picture does show it is not just a Vanguard issue.  

It appears to me tha Morningstar is collecting good info from the funds but then presenting it without that particular ticker. 
  • mfstarnes
    mfstarnes Member ✭✭
    Options
    thanks for doing that, it helped illustrate the issue.

My thought about "original" was that because Accenture is based in Ireland, they likely trade on a more local exchange there. However, it appears they trade primarily on NYSE, so that shoots my theory.
This discussion has been closed.