Quick Fill Should Remember the Last Entry (Q Mac)

Options
JimmEee
JimmEee Member
Quick Fill on Mac remembers the FIRST entry rather than the LAST. If I'm paying for gas, for example, Quick Fill shows me the price I entered months ago, rather than the last. In the past it always entered the last price. That was better.
Tagged:

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    @JimmEee I'm not seeing this. Are your transactions downloaded or entered manually? If you try manually entering a dummy transaction to the same Payee, does the dropdown menu of Payee matches show you the QuickFill with the old price, new price, or both? If you open one Window > Payees and Rules > QuickFill, and search for the Payee, are there multiple rules or just one? If just one, could you open it and see if ether of the checkboxes at the bottom are checked? 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • JimmEee
    JimmEee Member
    Options
    Sorry, jacobs, I didn't have my notifications set properly and didn't see your comment.

I have the most recent subscription version of Quicken Mac. I enter transactions manually. I set up a couple of dummy transactions today and it's working the way I wanted it to work. I must have been mistaken. I'll keep an eye on it.
  • JimmEee
    JimmEee Member
    Options
    Sorry, jacobs, I didn't have my notifications set properly and didn't see your comment.

I have the most recent subscription version of Quicken Mac. I enter transactions manually. I set up a couple of dummy transactions today and it's working the way I wanted it to work. I must have been mistaken. I'll keep an eye on it.
  • JimmEee
    JimmEee Member
    Options
    Looks like I'm getting mixed results. The old behavior is still present. Quick fill is still entering price data from months ago no matter how many times I enter new data. Weekly grocery shopping, for example, still enters the price I used when I first started shopping at this one store, even though I've been shopping there every week. Oh well, I like everything else so I'm stickin' with Quicken. :D
  • jacobs
    Options
    @JimmEee Since there's already an existing QuickFill rule for this Payee, I believe the issue is that you have unchecked the Preference > Register setting to "Automatically create rule when I edit a transaction". If you check this box, then each time you enter a new transaction for the Payee, it will update the QuickFill rule to the latest amount; if you have this box unchecked, it won't. If you prefer to keep the Preference setting turned off, but want to update prices for specific Payees for which you have QuickFill rules, just tab to the Category field and check the box above the Category.
  • JimmEee
    JimmEee Member
    Options
    The global preference (Quicken > Preferences... > Register) is checked. In the specific rule (Window > Payees & Rules > Quick Fill Rules) these are the options and both are checked…

1) Use this as the default rule if more than one rule exists for Sprouts
    2) Lock this rule to prevent changes to it when editing a transaction

I’m not sure about the wording here, so maybe these specific rules for Sprouts are overriding the global preferences?
  • jacobs
    Options
    Aha! It's the Lock checkbox that's causing it to not behave the way you want.

By locking the rule, you're telling Quicken that no matter what Category, Split, Memo, Tag or Amount you might enter the next time you use that Payee, it should not update the rule to any of the new values. This is very useful if you have a standard transaction with a Payee, but once or on occasion do something different; it allows you to enter to non-standard values without altering your saved rule. But in your case, you do want the transaction updated each time you use that Payee, so you want the Lock checkbox unchecked
  • JimmEee
    JimmEee Member
    Options
    I'll work with this and come back if it doesn't work. (I have a feeling you figured it out, however.) Thank you once again, JimmEee
This discussion has been closed.