You can't delete the account name from the category list

Options
erick00
erick00 Member ✭✭
Found a category which is just a "rectangle icon" (no text, just a small narrow rectangle is displayed). If I try to delete it, it first warns you that transactions exist which you the category. If you proceed to delete it anyways, you get the "can't delete account name" error (see screenshot). This is after I already did a "validate" on the quicken data file (which didn't show the "rectangle icon"). I also am not able to find the transactions which contain the "rectangle icon".

Answers

• erick00
    erick00 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Screenshot supplied, it was missing on my original post
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Did you go to the account list and see if it's listed there?  How many transactions are in it?  If it is an Account can you open it from the account list?

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The square box is the 2 square brackets [  ]  like are around the other account names.  It must have a space for the name or be missing the name.   Accounts show in the category list because you can transfer a transaction to an account instead of a category.   The brackets indicate it is a transfer to another account, not to a category.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Options
    That looks like data corruption. Some piece of code in Quicken thinks you have an account whose name is empty, which Quicken normally does not allow. I would try Validate & Repair and see whether it goes away.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• erick00
    erick00 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I examined the "account list" and there is no "blank" or "[]" account name. I ran "validate file" more than once and the problem did not go away. I am running Quicken for Windows on an iMac under Vmware Fusion 12.2.3.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm not surprised that you can't delete from that place, you can't delete "transfers" at all.

One thing that you might look for in the Account list is an account with foreign/strange characters.  That might appear as a blank account name in some sections of Quicken.

The only other suggestion I have is to run Super Validate.  To do that just hold down the Shift key and do Validate & Repair the same way.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.