Issue with share prices updating incorrectly in download from Empower Retirement

Options
Robert Brown 64
Robert Brown 64 Member
edited December 2022 in Investing (Windows)
The share prices for my funds within my Empower Retirement account no longer match the true share prices as shown on the Empower Retirement website. Since the last Quicken update I have had to go in and manually adjust the share prices for it to reflect true value. Quicken and Empower Retirement have been working together fine up until recently. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @Robert Brown 64

When you say "true share value" exactly what do you mean?  In other words - are the investments (funds) publicly traded funds (i.e. on an exchange, etc.) or is your only source the share values posted on the Empower website?

Also, are you able to download new transactions (if any) from the Empower website?

Get back to me and we'll go from there.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Robert Brown 64
    Options
    The funds are not publicly traded but are unique to my company's 401(k) plan.
    Yes I can download transactions from the Empowere website.
    But when I do it changes the share price of those unique funds such that the dollarized amount is significantly different than truth. I can look at the price history for those shares and see historically how they came in consistent and now all of a sudden they are pennies on the dollar via Quicken vs what is on the Empower website.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If these funds are not publicly traded, you should find them at Tools > Security list and un-check Download quotes for those funds. This will prevent Quicken's quote provider from trying to download prices for them. You should still receive quotes from Empower, which hopefully will be correct.

You will need to delete or correct any incorrect prices in the funds' price history.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Hi again @Robert Brown 64

Above, you said
    The funds are not publicly traded but are unique to my company's 401(k) plan.
    Yes I can download transactions from the Empower website.
    But when I do it changes the share price of those unique funds such that the dollarized amount is significantly different than truth. I can look at the price history for those shares and see historically how they came in consistent and now all of a sudden they are pennies on the dollar via Quicken vs what is on the Empower website.

When did the prices start changing?  And just to be sure I understand - can you confirm that the ONLY source of prices for these funds is from the Plan's data on the Empower website?

If the prices for those funds are changing significantly, was there a corresponding change in the number of shares beginning on the date of the change (I suspect that the answer is "no" but I just want to make sure)?  And if you go to the Empower website and review the account online, are the per share prices correct (i.e. - they do not agree with the prices shown in Quicken)?

Please get back to me and we'll go from there.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Robert Brown 64
    Options
    Victory! Yes Jim that worked! Thank you so much.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Out of curiosity, are there Ticker symbols assigned for these funds, or are they blank? Quicken's quote provider uses the ticker symbols to look up prices, and sometimes it gets confused if the symbol matches or nearly matches that of a security in its database. This seems to be especially true for Premier and above users who have selected the Real Time Quotes option.

It is good practice to leave the ticker symbol blank for non-public securities, in addition to un-checking the Download Quotes box. 
    QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.