Transaction Date not Posting Date

Options

Answers

• Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @TEDG - they will call back today or tomorrow, so please anticpate the call.  

to leverage Quicken to its fullest, I do not manually enter transactions.  Rather I download them all. if a date needs to be changed (e,g, over year end charitable contribution) or a category needs to be changed, it's easier for me to just change those few dates or catefories on critical transactions, ratrher than data enter ALL transactions.

in most instances a day off here or there really doesn't matter in the scheme of things.  Years ago, the fact that the bank had one date (the posting date) but a paper account register had another date (the date the check was written) really didn't matter, did it? 

just food for thought....
  • kuhawksr1
    kuhawksr1 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Options
    throws off actual vs. budget reporting/analysis when you have large value transactions around month end.  Yes it matters.

Lots of fixes in R46.12 which I was just prompted to install.  We'll see on next sync if this was related to any of them.

• Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @kuhawksr1 - even such, isn't is easier to download all transactions via automated methods and then change a limited number of transactions where the date (or category) is critical versus manually entering everything prior to an automated download????  That is one of the benfits of Quicken...otherwise all I've really done is trade my paper register booklet where I had to write each entry for a computer software where I type everything in.... 
  • TedG
    TedG Member ✭✭
    Options
    No matter which transaction entry method you use, shouldn't the transaction date be correct?
  • kuhawksr1
    kuhawksr1 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    transaction date should be correct regardless of when systems get around to processing the transaction to closure.  I enter a majority of these transactions 'manually' through the mobile app as I go about my day, capture receipt images on those that may be important to have an image of in future.  You might be surprised how long it takes some vendors to actually process their transactions through the bank (think sporting event vendors, trade show vendors, boutique shops ... typically folks that use mobile devices/vendors for payment capture and close out episodically vs. daily. A small handful never post for whatever reason (free stuff). Some post with amounts I didn't authorize (think tips at restaurants).  If you just take whatever the bank gives you then you really aren't reconciling.
  • bryanhbell
    bryanhbell Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    After updating my version of Quicken Deluxe for Windows 11 from r45.21 to r46.12 and running One Step Update, I am still seeing Quicken overwrite my entered transaction dates with the posting dates of my Wells Fargo checking account.
  • kuhawksr1
    kuhawksr1 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Bummer.  I can confirm the same for Chase Visa.  Three transactions cleared overnight and all three were changed to 1/12.  One transaction was actually made on 1/10 and the other two on 1/11.
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @BRYANHBELL @kuhawksr1 - have either of you called Support to discuss this?  And is the issue with your checking account or your credit card account or both.  

I tested my BofA credit card this morning.  I manually entered a transaction with an old date that I knew would be automatically posted after OSU.  After doing OSU, the date DID NOT CHANGE. In otherwords it was not overrriden, but Quicken matched the transaction.  

Are you seeing this issue manifest itself on the desktop or on the web version or both? 

I am waiting for a checking account transaction to do the same test. May take a few days for that to occur. 

I am on R46.12 (DELUXE). I only use the desktop. 

Since we are all getting different behaviors from the same software, does that suggest a) its the bank itself with the option of whether their input overrides a manually entered date or 2) the communication methods work differently (BoFA is EWC+) or different versions of Qucken (deluxe, premiere, web, etc) work differently.

Please confirm the communication method your bank uses and the Quicken product (deluxe, premiiere, Mac), etc. you are using

Maybe we need to help Quicken determine the root cause? 

• bryanhbell
    bryanhbell Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    > @Mark1104 said:
    > have either of you called Support to discuss this?

I have not.

> And is the issue with your checking account or your credit card account or both.  

I have only seen the issue with my Wells Fargo checking account. I do not manually enter many transactions in my other accounts.

> Are you seeing this issue manifest itself on the desktop or on the web version or both?

I only use the desktop version (currently r46.12 Deluxe).

> Please confirm the communication method your bank uses and the Quicken product (deluxe, premiiere, Mac), etc. you are using

I am using Express Web Connect with my Wells Fargo checking account.

Today, after running One Step Update, 3 manually entered transactions were matched to my checking account. The date for the first was changed from January 10 to January 13, the date for the second was changed from January 12 to January 14, and the date for the third was changed from December 30 to January 14. That last one was for an Amazon order that was placed on December 30 but only recently shipped.
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @bryanhbell

1) suggest calling Support.  This is a community board so it is just an exchange between fellow users.  No Guarentee anyone from Quicken itself will read or respond to this item 

2) We are both using the same software version (R46.12 Deluxe), so that is not the issue, unless it is a setting that I am not aware of. 

3) that leaves the bank or the communication methods that are somehow creating a different outcome. BofA using EWC+ does not override the date, yet your experience is that Wells with EWC does override the dates.  

Again, suggest calling support.  Ask if Quicken gives the bank the option of whether they want their customer's dates overriden or not, or is there a setting that is creating this behavior.   

• Ivar
    Ivar Member
    Options
    I chatted with support. The guy first suggested I restore my file back to a previous version - WRONG, and then suggested I repair the file - Did not as I don't see what that would do. Conclusion the support guy didn't know what he was talking about.

I plan to call support tomorrow when they open.

I am running Quicken Home, Business and Rental Property R46.12 on Windows 11 Home.
  • AlexisoftheShire
    AlexisoftheShire Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I enter all my transactions manually, then download transactions and finally reconcile them. My transaction date stays the same I've been doing this for years. I do not use mobile sync because it has corrupted my desktop data file many times. It changes balances, deletes categories, corrupts dates. The mobile app lacks data integrity and sooner or later corrupts your desktop Quicken file.
  • kuhawksr1
    kuhawksr1 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I have finally experienced EXPECTED behavior this morning on a Chase Visa account following an overnight sync.  Two transactions had been manually entered into Quicken (one through PC desktop app and the other through Q mobile app) on 1/17 (the day of both transactions).  They posted with a date of 1/18 on the Chase account.  Following the overnight sync, I opened Q this morning (1/19) and was presented the transactions for review (rather than Q auto matching them and marking them cleared - this was my first indication that something was different).  After reviewing and accepting the matches between what had been downloaded during sync and what was already in my register, the dates of the transactions REMAINED 1/17 (the transaction date) rather than changing to 1/18 (the posting date).

Hope this behavior continues.  Will report back if it doesn't.
  • Maddie K
    Maddie K Member
    Options
    I recently started having the same problem where Quicken is changing the dates of checks that I entered manually to the posting date. I write over 60 checks a month. I can't go back and manually change the dates. This is ridiculous. I spoke to customer support yesterday. They had me deactivate my account then reactivate it and then told me I have to change the dates manually. Useless. Currently using Q for Windows R46.12
  • TedG
    TedG Member ✭✭
    Options
    So, not only does Q disrespect the importance of authentic transaction dates (as opposed to posting dates), but it also doesn't even understand how its software affects these dates, as support personnel seem to be grasping at straws. I'm still waiting for a call from the office of the president, based upon a message that I sent him, by the way.
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @TedG - when the Office of the President calls, can you please ask them what are the rules they use to override dates?  is it financial institution dependent? is it dependent on the communications method? is it transactions manually posted via the web? is it a bug? 

I bank at BofA and Ally.  I have checking, savings and credit cards across these two institutions.  I only use the desktop.  the dates are NEVER overridden.  

I don't think I've seen any posts complaining about this overriding date issue on investment transactions - it is only banking transactions. 

• Ivar
    Ivar Member
    Options
    I think this problem was introduced with Express Web Connect +.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ivar said:
    I think this problem was introduced with Express Web Connect +.
    I just tested this in my Chase Checking account, which is Express Web Connect +.
    I used a backup of my data file, and entered a check that I know came in today.  I dated it 1/16/2023.
    Note I have automatic transaction entry mode on.
    The download matched the check and the date stayed at 1/16/2023.

Just in case, I repeated the test with automatic transaction entry mode off with the same results.

If people are using Sync to Mobile/Web, I suggest you turn it off and see if that is the problem.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • bryanhbell
    bryanhbell Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I was dubious that Sync to Mobile/Web was the source of the problem, but I tried turning it off before running One Step Update today. There was only 1 matched transaction in my update today. I had entered that transaction with the date 01/18/2023. The transaction was posted to my checking account on 01/19/2023. Surprisingly, Quicken kept the matched transaction's originally entered date of 01/18/2023. I'll continue to check this over the next few days to see if the problem is solved. On a future date, I'll also try turning Sync to Mobile/Web back on to see if the problem returns.
  • Ivar
    Ivar Member
    Options
    My last download from BofA was 1/18/23 and it still demonstrated the problem, and I am on the latest release. I don't use Mobile. I haven't been able to talk to support because I can never find a time when I can call when the wait time is under 22 minutes!! I am at a loss now, and don't understand why Q Support cannot resolve this. Very frustrated and would move to other software if there is something, but I don't know of an alternative.
  • Ivar
    Ivar Member
    Options
    Another problem with EWC+ - I just downloaded (1/20/23) transactions from my Chase credit card account. The dialog showed it would download only from Chase. After the download both my Chase AND BofA accounts in Q have been updated with transactions from 1/18 and 1/19. The account in Q shows that the last update was 1/18!! Something seriously wrong with EWC+.
  • Ivar
    Ivar Member
    Options
    Talked to Q Support today. The guy said he is getting many reports of this problem and Q is working on a fix. No ETA. At least they acknowledge there is a problem!!
  • bryanhbell
    bryanhbell Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    > @bryanhbell said:
    > I was dubious that Sync to Mobile/Web was the source of the problem, but I tried turning it off before running One Step Update today. There was only 1 matched transaction in my update today. I had entered that transaction with the date 01/18/2023. The transaction was posted to my checking account on 01/19/2023. Surprisingly, Quicken kept the matched transaction's originally entered date of 01/18/2023. I'll continue to check this over the next few days to see if the problem is solved. On a future date, I'll also try turning Sync to Mobile/Web back on to see if the problem returns.

Here's an update on my earlier post. I have run One Step Update on a couple more days with Sync to Mobile/Web turned off and the transactions I have manually entered have NOT had their dates overwritten. Today, I tried turning Sync to Mobile/Web back on before running One Step Update. After running the Update, all of my manually entered transactions that were matched (11 of them) had their dates overwritten with the day after the posting date (so, if the posting date was 01/30/2023, then the overwritten date was 01/31/2023). This occurred in both my Wells Fargo Checking account (10 transactions) and my Wells Fargo Savings account (1 transaction). There were no matched transactions in any of my other accounts (Mastercard or Fidelity, for example), so I don't know if this is occurring with all accounts of merely my Wells Fargo accounts.

I am therefore convinced that Sync to Mobile/Web is the source of the problem as I am seeing it occur. So I am leaving that function turned off until I see evidence of a fix in a future Quicken update.
  • TedG
    TedG Member ✭✭
    Options
    Bryan: Thanks for the info. I confirm that disabling Mobile Sync stops the overwriting. Can't explain why. I have kept Sync off because I don't want to have to correct all those overwritten dates. I forwarded our conclusion to the rep at the President's office, and hope he forwards it to a conscientious program developer, who can now diagnose and correct the problem. Stay tuned.
  • kuhawksr1
    kuhawksr1 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for the updates. I will have to keep mobile sync enabled as that is the way most of my day-to-day transactions are entered into Quicken.  I use the mobile app to enter new transactions and capture images of receipts as I go about my day.  They download to the desktop version during mobile sync and then I compare/contrast with what is downloaded during overnight sync from bank before I accept the matches. Interestingly, some of the transactions I enter are auto matched (marked cleared in register) after overnight sync from bank while others are presented to me to manually match.  For the ones that auto match the date gets overwritten.  For the ones that don't auto match the dates stay as they were after I accept the match (as expected).  Happens to me with both Bank of America and Chase accounts. I can't determine why some behave one way and others a different way. Hopefully the dev will solve it regardless.
  • kuhawksr1
    kuhawksr1 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Update - for any transaction I enter into Quicken on the PC the transaction date does not change during an online sync. For any transaction I enter through the Quicken mobile app, the transaction date does change to the date of posting.  For me, the issue appears to be isolated to transactions entered through the mobile app.  I don't enter transactions through the Quicken web (app.quicken.com) via a browser so cannot comment on them.
  • TTSguy
    TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In looking at my register transactions in the downloaded memo field, there is always a sequence of numbers that you can decipher easily to see the date when the transaction was made. I do, however use a CU that is very up to date with the most recent banking processes and procedures. You might take a look and see if that might work for you.
  • sbarber5
    sbarber5 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hit or miss for me and does seem to have something to do since the implementation of Express Web Connect+. I can confirm my Chase credit card accounts just changed manually entered dates to posting dates again and do not always. These transactions were entered on PC and updated with OSU on PC. I believe I have mobile sync on, but barely use the mobile app and am probably not even signed in on mobile. Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property on PC version R47.15 Build 27.1.47.15 on Win 11 Pro.

It is frustrating for me because automatically entered bills are doing this like bi-monthly expenses to contractors that I RELY on the recurring dates to look at and when they get skewed, I am thrown off after just a couple of weeks having to reference past payments or dates.

Bottom line, while not critical for most, it is certainly a huge annoyance for many due to a variety of personal use circumstances.

Needs to be fixed, or provided an option or register filter.
  • lmbeck65
    lmbeck65 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I have been dealing with the same issue and after finding this thread stopped using mobile app to enter transactions. My transaction dates stay with what I entered on the desktop now. Quicken version 47.15 windows 10
This discussion has been closed.