Can I just wipe out an existing position?

Options
palimpsest
palimpsest Member
edited December 2022 in Investing (Windows)
After the reverse split of GE shares, Quicken failed to get any of the data right. Can I just wipe out the existing record for GE on Quicken and assume that the next time Quicken updates, it will see the existing position(s) and record the current value. I'm not too concerned about the price at which the GE was bought, nor about the shares bought through reinvestment. I just want to know what the current values are. At present, Quicken shows a negative value for GE.

Comments

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "Can I just wipe out the existing record for GE on Quicken and assume that the next time Quicken updates, it will see the existing position(s) and record the current value."
    Sure.  Do a Remove action on GE and... poof, the security is gone!  Instead of waiting for the next download to repopulate the GE shares, do an Add action.  Look at the number of shares you own at your broker's web site and do an Add faction for the correct number of shares.  If the broker happens to have the cost basis of your GE shares you can enter that too using the Add Action.  Immediately you'll have the correct number of shares with the correct cost basis, though you won't have "lot" information.
  • palimpsest
    Options
    Tom, when I try to delete this holding (right click, delete security), I'm told I can't do that because the security has been used in other transactions). If I to to the stock-specific display, hit delete, and it shows that the shares have been "Removed," they remain in the holdings display. What am I not doing?
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm not following your second sentence exactly, but, in general, a Remove action should work.  It's kinda like a Sold action but with no cash effect and no gain or loss calculation:

There's no "Remove all shares" button on a Removed action, like the "Sell all shares in this account" button that's available on a Sold action, so you can end up with some small fraction of a share left over.
This discussion has been closed.