Quicken 2009 version: the system always ask me to select a data file

Options
felicity
felicity Member
Hi all,

I am using Quicken 2009.

I find that there is a problem that when I start to use the program recently, the system always ask me to select a data file. It is unusual because the message does not come up before.

When I want to back up, the system pops up a message: "Quicken - unexpected error: Quicken has encountered a problem and needs to close. You may lose the data that you recently entered. We're sorry for this inconveniece. You can look at the error report that Quicken created about this problem, then choose to send it to Intuit through a secure SSL Internet connection. The process is private and fast. The report will help us improve the Quicken product. Error code: 7061"

However, when I click to "send Report", the system failed to send the report.

Thank you for your reply.

Comments

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This doesn't answer your question but you should at least try to convert to the 2013 version since you don’t use any online services or download transactions now. Starting in 2014 they instituted an ID password to get into your own data. I’m staying on 2013.  Then it should be more stable and run on newer computer systems.  2009 is unsupported so it won't send anything to Quicken.  And Intuit doesn't own Quicken anymore.  They sold it off many years ago.  

You can download 2013 Deluxe for free using this how to convert article.  It’s under Converting from Quicken 2004-2009. Click on the blue words Quicken 2013 for Windows in step 3

FYI - All Quicken versions prior to QW2010 store your data in a series of files all sharing the same filename but with different extensions like - .IDX, .QEL, .QPH & .QDF, and all 4 of those files were rolled into a single-file .QDF in starting in 2010.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How are you starting Q?  What type of icon are you clicking on?  To determine this, RIGHT click on that icon and then click PROPERTIES.
    You should see a label that reads either "Target Type" or "Type of file".  Which is it, and what's the associated value?
    Also where is your Q data file stored?  Please start with the drive letter and proceed all the way until ".QDF".
    Lastly, do you use DropBox, OneDrive or any other automated backup for your Q data? 

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The old servers making software updates available or receiving error reports have long since been retired. Your Q 2009 is not supported any longer.

Old Quicken Patch downloads 2000+

When running an old, unsupported Quicken for Windows version you may no longer be able to download bug fixes (patch files) directly from Quicken.
    However, until further notice they are still available here:
    US version:
    http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quicken-patches-us.html
    Canadian version:
    http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quicken-patches-canadian.html
    If clicking on Help / About Quicken does not show the highest Release number available for your version (year), as shown on this webpage, download and install the appropriate file(s) from the link above. Save those downloaded files on external storage media, for future reference.

felicity said:
    I find that there is a problem that when I start to use the program recently, the system always ask me to select a data file. It is unusual because the message does not come up before.
    Can you please provide us with the complete drive letter, path name, file name and file extension of your Quicken data file? (e.g., C:\Quicken\QDATA.QDF)
    • Old Quicken versions did have a limit on both the file name and path name length that sometimes caused problems.
    • Make sure that the data file name does NOT have a blank space at the end of the name portion, e.g. QDATA_.QDF (where the underscore represents a blank space). Using Windows File Explorer this may be difficult to see unless you have File Explorer configured to View / Show File Extensions. Only then will a trailing space show up clearly
    • Also, when running Quicken on newer Windows versions, the folder containing your data file must NOT be accessed by MS OneDrive, Dropbox or any other cloud backup software program. That also causes problems.

• felicity1
    felicity1 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you all.

@UKR, yes, i saved my file in google drive. I am trying to direct my data file to my PC drive, it seems that the first problem can be tackled (the system DOES NOT ask me to select file again) , however, the system alters me that "File NOT backed up" when I am doing backup. :(

One more thing, I want to download the Quicken 2013, but fail. I try the this link https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken and Chris also gave me the direct link, but the page has not found.

Thanks again!
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Did you click on the blue words Quicken 2013 for Windows?

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• felicity1
    felicity1 Member ✭✭
    Options
    yes, I click the blue words.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    felicity1 said:
    yes, I click the blue words.
    Try this link:
    https://assistant.quicken.com/patch/ASDES5672FR13/Old_Products/QWIN/QW2013DLX.exe

If that doesn’t work then maybe your web browser or virus software is blocking it from being downloaded.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.