Hire a Consultant to Reconcile my Checking Account

Options
conradmiller3
conradmiller3 Member ✭✭
I want to hire a Quicken "consultant" to reconcile one of my checking accounts. Preferably come to my home rather than remote. Account is "off" by $17K from the on-line balance. I've done a review on my own, and cannot find the discrepancy.
Tagged:

Answers

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you want an in-home visit, a rough idea of where in the country you are would help. 

The first place I would look for a sudden $17K discrepancy would be the opening balance transaction in the account. Various recent program and download quirks have seemed to ding that very first transaction in the account. 
  • conradmiller3
    Options
    San Antonio, Texas
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have never seen anyone on here that did in house consulting.   There was one SuperUser that did it remotely, but I haven't seen any posts from him in a long time, and I don't think the moderators like people advertising anything on here.

Is this a new problem?
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • conradmiller3
    Options
    Yes, relatively new problem (last 2 months or so) Been using Quicken for over a decade and never had a problem of this magnitude before.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The reason I ask is because you might need to look at some pretty old transactions to reconcile and opening a backup from when it did reconcile might be best way.  You can make a copy of your data file With Windows File Explorer and then change the type from .QDF-backup to .QDF and open that (just don't do any kind of online updates) to check things.  Like you can check the opening balance transaction that @q_lurker mentioned.

When I did a recent change over from Direct Connect to Express Web Connect + I did hit a few problems, that were hard to find:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20312605/#Comment_20312605

With a record of the right running balance from the backup, you can see where it went wrong by comparing a printout (can be to a PDF) of the register from the backup with the current one.  Because of the fact that the conversion can muck with the past transactions the problem(s) can be before your last successful reconcile, which a lot of people don't think of and as such can't figure out how to fix the "current reconcile".
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • conradmiller3
    Options
    Thanks for the input, but way above my pay grade.
  • davidinangelfire
    davidinangelfire Member ✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Options
    I would re-iterate what Chris said. When I needed to change the connection method for my checking account, the opening balance was changed to a negative number as part of the re-connection.
    Resetting it to $0 fixed most of my problems - the rest were self-induced.

this appears to be mitigated in R45.11 but it's too late for those of us who had to change connect methods a few months ago
This discussion has been closed.