Incorrect association of Quicken accounts with financial institutions when activating online connect

Options
I've been using Quicken for over 25 years (therefore, my datafile is quite large) and am a current annual subscriber so my Home & Business version of Quicken is up-to-date. For the past couple of months a couple of my Quicken accounts stopped downloading transactions from their financial institutions. I made a serious effort to resolve this today and tried deactivating the connections, restarting Quicken and then tried to reactivate the online connection. However, when I do this, Quicken gives me a list of Quicken accounts that could be linked to that financial institution's accounts that are for DIFFERENT financial institutions than the one I am trying to connect! Does anyone have any ideas of how to fix/correct this problem? I am concerned that the datafile got corrupted somehow and I might have to start a new Quicken file from current positions...

Comments

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That's odd. Instead of going down the Reactivate path, try reconnecting via the Tools > Add Account path. That should let you specify the FI at the start of the process.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Bill B. 473
    Options
    OK - thanks! That got the accounts reconnected to Fidelity but when I try to update transactions, no transactions are downloaded even though I know there are new transactions there from when I log onto Fidelity Investments directly. Any ideas as to why? My other accounts are downloading transactions from their financial institutions correctly.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Please do TOOLS, Account List and tell us what appears in the "Transaction Download" column adjacent to the account(s) that aren't downloading.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Bill B. 473
    Options
    To answer your question first - both accounts are listed as "Yes (Direct Connect)".
    I was on the phone with Quicken today for 2.5 hrs trying many, many different ways to get the accounts to download transactions to no avail. However, it was clear that if I created a couple of new, dummy accounts and linked them to my Fidelity accounts, all recent transactions downloaded fine to them. This leads me to the conclusion that something happened to corrupt the two Quicken accounts and neither I nor Quicken support could think of a way to get them to start downloading transactions again. I do have backup files but I have to go back to a July backup to get one that will still download transactions from Fidelity. I have about 30 active accounts and over 70 total accounts in my data file (I've been using Quicken almost as long as you!). We updated a copy of this backup file and several accounts were no longer reconciling and I'm not motivated to track down the missing, duplicate or erroneous transactions. I am resigned to having to manually enter transactions for the two Fidelity accounts going forward but am still interested in any suggestions to restore my current accounts' ability to download transactions.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What about moving all transactions from the bad accounts to the new "dummy" accounts and using the dummy accounts going forward?
    If you right-click in an investment register, you get the option to "Move transaction(s)".  No guarantees it'll work, but worth a try.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Bill B. 473
    Options
    I may try to do that. My concern is that there are many transfers in/out from other accounts as well as buy/sell transactions that might cause me a lot of trouble. I'm not sure what would happen but when I get some more free time I may back everything up and then try it on a copy of the datafile. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.