Scheduled Transaction issues

Options
HowardC
HowardC Member ✭✭
This is a problem with Quicken Deluxe on Windows 10.
I have scheduled estimated bills to show up in the register and they do show up as "auto". However, when I get the true amount of the bill, I cannot change the amount of that single line item. I can only delete this instance or change this instance and all future instances or delete this instance and all future instances.
Also, for bills that are fixed, when the amount is downloaded from from the financial institution, it will not match, even though the payee and amount are the same. If I try to match manually, The "auto" item does not show up in the list.
I find this very disturbing and annoying.
It seems to have started within the past month or so.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Where are you trying to change the amount of the bill?  In the "Bill and Income Reminder" window?  Or in the register where the non-entered reminder shows?
    If the latter, click on the GEAR icon to the right of the Balance column and "Enter this Reminder" will allow you to change the amount.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• HowardC
    HowardC Member ✭✭
    Options
    I am trying to change the amount in the register. My "gear" shows several things under "reminders to show in the register" but not the one you mention ("Enter this Reminder").
  • Richard Murphy
    Options
    Howard C, I completely agree with you. I schedule forecasted payments (e.g. consolidated insurance payment) to keep tabs on upcoming payments. If, for some reason, the amount of the upcoming scheduled bill doesn't match the scheduled payment entry there is no way to amend the entry. You get 4 choices; mark as paid (which it's not), skip this instance (which I don't want to do because the bill is still due), edit all instances (why do I have to edit all instances when I just want to edit a single upcoming instance) or delete all instances (I haven't been brave enough to click on that option). There should be an choice to amend the upcoming payment without affecting all of the other related payments. If you want to edit ALL of the upcoming payment it should link you to the scheduled payments window.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    HowardC said:
    I am trying to change the amount in the register. My "gear" shows several things under "reminders to show in the register" but not the one you mention ("Enter this Reminder").
    Wrong Gear icon.  NOT the one in the upper right of the register ... but the one immediately to the right of the Balance amount for the transactions.
    You might need to  adjust the width of columns (using the separator between them to adjust) for this column to be apparent.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• HowardC
    HowardC Member ✭✭
    Options
    It has been a while since I got a "overdue" transaction, so I have not been able to respond to this post. When I use the gear to the gear immediately to the right of the Balance, I get the same 3 options:
    1) Skip this one
    2) Edit this instance and all future instances
    3) Delete this instance and all future instances
    None of these allow me to change the amount of this transaction without affecting all future transactions. My only real option is to delete it and accept the downloaded transaction. I also cannot change these transactions when they show up in the register with the auto enter days before due date.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    HowardC said:
    This is a problem with Quicken Deluxe on Windows 10.
    I have scheduled estimated bills to show up in the register and they do show up as "auto". However, when I get the true amount of the bill, I cannot change the amount of that single line item. I can only delete this instance or change this instance and all future instances or delete this instance and all future instances.
    Also, for bills that are fixed, when the amount is downloaded from from the financial institution, it will not match, even though the payee and amount are the same. If I try to match manually, The "auto" item does not show up in the list.
    I find this very disturbing and annoying.
    It seems to have started within the past month or so.
    In my Bills, Income & Transfers view, there are two types of "auto" transaction entries:
    • Some are marked "(Auto Enter)"
    • Others are marked "(auto pay)"

Which of these are you talking about?
    • "(Auto Enter)" refers to reminders marked to be entered automatically by Quicken [xx] days before due date. This type of transactions works best for payments which are the same amount every time.
      However, if you have variable amounts to pay every month, it would be better to change the reminder (this and all future instances) to remind me [xx] days in advance. This way, when you know this month's amount due you can simply Enter the transaction with the updated amount.
      To adapt the reminder to varying amounts it might also be a good idea to estimate the amount due based on [xx] past payments.
    • "(auto pay)" refers to online biller transactions which will be automatically debited by the biller from one of your accounts on due date.
  • HowardC
    HowardC Member ✭✭
    Options
    I do not have any "auto pay". I enter all my expected transactions using "Manage Bill and Income Reminders". They normally show up initially as "auto" (based on the number of days I set). Most turn to "uncleared", which I can modify the single transaction, but some show up as "overdue", where the problem is. I am not allowed to to modify a transaction that is "overdue".
This discussion has been closed.