Balance mismatch between Account List and all Reports

Options
mjs9876543210
mjs9876543210 Member ✭✭
(Apologies if this has been asked & answered already. I've search and I don't think I've found a post that matches this situation.)

The left hand side list of accounts on the main screen shows the account with a zero balance.

But all of the reports show a small ($16.30_ non-zero balance for the same account. The reports that show a non-zero balance in include Account Balances, Portfolio Value (when subtotaled by Account), etc.

I have Validated the file - doing so found and fixed a few things but nothing that appears relevant to this account, and there's no difference in behavior before and after Validation.

There's no transaction for the specific amount anywhere.

I'm at a loss as to how to get these two in sync.

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Right Click on the "All Transactions" header of the Account Bar. 
    IS "Show Current Balance ... " checked?  Or "Show Ending Balance ...:"?
    When you go to the account's register, what shows there?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• mjs9876543210
    Options
    Hi @NotACPA . Thank you for taking the time to help.

The "All Transactions" header of the Account Bar shows "Show Current Balance". I tried toggling it and it doesn't make any difference I can see in the Account bar (other than changing the label "Net Worth" to "Ending Balance."

The account's register shows zero for all 3 of Securities Value, Cash Value and Total Market Value. Zero is correct and matches what's shown on my brokerage account's site.)

If there's anything else you can think of to check I'd be grateful.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AAAHH,  I originally missed that we're talking about an investment account.
    So, 2 things to try:
    1. For each closed position (completely sold security) in the account, change the LAST transaction to "Sell All" and let Q determine the number of shares sold.
    2. [Take  a backup before you do this] After you've tried that (did it help?), you can try a SUPER-Validation of the file by holding down the CTRL & Shift keys from the moment you click "Validate and Repair file", until you see that it's doing a SV.

• mjs9876543210
    Options
    @NotACPA

I've done this with the securities that were sold.

I tried the Super Verify. It didn't report anything that regular Verify didn't also report.

Unfortunately no change. :-(

This isn't worth a lot more of your time, @NotACPA. It's an old account and I could just delete it if need be.

Thanks
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @mjs9876543210

In your first post you say: "The left hand side list of accounts on the main screen shows the account with a zero balance."

If you open up the register for the account in question and look at the bottom of that register - can you tell me what the amounts are for the following balances;

Securities Value
    Cash Balance
    Total Market values

Please get back to me and we'll go from there.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• mjs9876543210
    Options
    Hi Frank. Thanks for helping out.

I was mistaken when I said Super Repair didn't do anything - it put the account in a very strange state that wasn't worth my (or anyone else's) time to try to figure out. I didn't need the account history and it's proper balances were zero so I simply deleted the account.

Apologies for wasting people's time.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Apology TOTALLY unnecessary.  That's what we're here for, and we enjoy helping where we can.
    And the "strange state" is why I said to take a backup first. 
    I'd restore from that backup just in case the SV did anything else. Of course, you'll need to re-delete the particular account ... but that's a small price for Peace of Mind.

This discussion has been closed.