Move settings to new computer

Options
DavidKR
DavidKR Member ✭✭
I'm getting ready to move Quicken from an older computer to a newer one. Are the settings and options (such as the register layout, etc.) included in the QDATA.QDF backup files, so that the appearance and operation will be the same on the new computer as on the old one, or is there another file I need to bring over?

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @DavidKR,

All the settings and options are in your Quicken datafile. 

I would suggest that you simply copy the current datafile you are using to the new computer (rather than using a backup datafile).  There is no other folder or files that would need to be moved to the new computer, with the exception of any backup datafiles that you might want to retain, as you would for any backup files, just in case.

Frank

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @DavidKR,

All the settings and options are in your Quicken datafile. 

I would suggest that you simply copy the current datafile you are using to the new computer (rather than using a backup datafile).  There is no other folder or files that would need to be moved to the new computer, with the exception of any backup datafiles that you might want to retain, as you would for any backup files, just in case.

Frank

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• DavidKR
    DavidKR Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks, @Frankx , that's very helpful. It's good when something can be moved so easily.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stating the obvious, you will need to install Quicken on the new computer.  You can download your current package from your account with Quicken and use that for the install.  If you are somehow running an old unsupported version, installation of that may be more of a problem.   
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There are some global settings like the recent file list and the backup file list that are not contained in the the individual data file(s), but those are minor things and easy to reestablish.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• DavidKR
    DavidKR Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks, folks, this is all helpful. I did plan to just download the program itself from Quicken. I've been using the latest version — nothing from prior eras.
This discussion has been closed.