problems with software performance

ron
ron Member ✭✭
Has anyone thought of delaying updates for a few months until Quicken can figure out how to fix the bugs? I have used quicken for 20 plus years and in the past when they came out with their new annual software I would not purchase it until the following year when everything was fixed. This was when they still supported the older programs for 2 to 3 years. Now it seems that you have no choice but download the the updates when they present them. Almost always there is something wrong and it creates problems. I am dead in the water because I can not download fidelity investments and if I want them correct I need to enter each one by matching to my account at Fidelity.
Does anyone know if I can do a restore and go back a few months when most everything was working? Another question is if you keep an old software that works do you have to pay for an upgrade to be able to use the download? I'm not cheap and don't mind paying for something that works but I would rather wait till they know what is wrong and hopefully have fixed it.

Comments

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    "Now it seems that you have no choice but download the the updates when they present them."
    No, you certainly do have a choice here.  Enable Windows User Account Control (UAC) and you can tell Quicken "no, not at this time."  If you're not seeing a lot of complaints about a particular upgrade you can go ahead and update.
    "Does anyone know if I can do a restore and go back a few months when most everything was working?"
    You certainly can "roll back" to an update that you think was working properly by downloading and running the mondo file associated with the update.  You can find them here:
    Running that file will put you back to the release that was working for you.  However, not every issue relating to Quicken problems are "programmatic", sometimes some corruption in your data file can be at fault.  If it's been a while since you last copied and validated the file, it wouldn't hurt to try that.
    "Another question is if you keep an old software that works do you have to pay for an upgrade to be able to use the download?"
    You really can't install and use the old (2017 and before) copies anymore.  With the subscription version, while you're not forced to update the program (see UAC above) you will have to renew your subscription each year to continue downloading.
This discussion has been closed.