Back Up failures

Options
BLT99
BLT99 Member ✭✭
For the first time ever, I am receiving message "File Not Backed Up" when I use the Copy or Backup process to save my Quicken file after I added my most recent transactions. FIle is not backing either on an external flash drive or when I try to back up to a folder on the c: drive. Anyone have similar issues or suggestion for resolving?

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Are  you using DropBox, OneDrive, etc to backup your Q data file?
    During a backup, Q briefly closes the file to force all write operations to conclusion and then re-opens it for the actual backup.
    Automated backup programs grab the data file during that closure and prevent Q from re-opening it which would lead to Not backed up.
    Also, take a look at free space on your backup target and compare that to the size of your QDF.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• BLT99
    BLT99 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I am not using Dropbox, OneDrive, etc. I go through the Copy and Backup steps to save my backup files onto a ScanDisk USB flash drive. I have several backups on this particular drive, and I did verify it has plenty of available space to load multiple additional backup files. When my file would not backup to the USB drive, I alternatively tried to see if I could backup to a folder on my C: drive, this resulted in the same message that file did not backup, which to me meant it was not a problem with the USB flash drive.

I also need to mention that during my session on Quicken, I was trying to redo the link to one of my credit cards. I got a replacement card with a new number. My first attempt to download activity did successfully retrieve activity for the old card number. I then tried to create a new connection to link to my existing credit card account. This resulted in a download processing window which spun and spun for about 8 minutes before I finally had to use my Task Manager to shut down Quicken. Makes me wonder if shutting down Quicken this way may have done something.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file on the hard drive?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • BLT99
    BLT99 Member ✭✭
    Options
    The Quicken data files are in This PC>Documents>Quicken. Quicken's self backup are to This PC>Documents>Quicken>BACKUP
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The default path is C:\Users\<Username>\Documents\Quicken. Have you tried that?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • BLT99
    BLT99 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Ok. I just looked and see historical backups there. There is no backup there for the session during which I was unable to create backup on my Scandisk (yesterday). The last backup showing here and other locations I noted was my previous session on Quicken on Nov 1.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Have you tried VALIDATING your Q data file?  A somewhat corrupted Q data file can cause what you're describing.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• BLT99
    BLT99 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Yes, this morning I ran a validation on the file. it did not find anything. I tried backing up again and the file again/still would not backup. I decided to go back to my most recent backup file and redo the updates I worked on yesterday. Once I loaded the backup file, I tested it by backing it up to my Scandisk and it backup successfully. I am moving forward now. I will back up the file again before I try to replicate the credit card updates I performed yesterday. Thanks for all your help and hope you enjoy your Thanksgiving!
This discussion has been closed.