Does Quicken download transactions for E-Trade 401ks/IRAs?

Options
Cindi Anderson
Cindi Anderson Member ✭✭✭
I've been trying everything to get them to download and they aren't there.  No error message, just no transactions.  

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You will probably need to ask this of E-Trade or the 401k plan administrator. 
    When businesses contract with investment companies like E-Trade to manage their retirement plans they need to specifically require it in the in the contract.  Sometimes the businesses require it and sometimes they do not. 
    If they do support it they probably will have a unique setup for Quicken, not the general E-Trade setup.
    The retirement plan documentation you should have received should have contact information for both E-Trade and the plan administrator and they should be able to clearly tell you how to set up Quicken to be able to download the data.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• Cindi Anderson
    Options
    I'm talking about a solo 401k which eTrade is the administrator of.  It looks like an IRA at eTrade just is called a 401k.
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited November 2022
    Options
    OK.  Have you already connected your account to E*Trade?  If so, what connection method is it set up with?  You can see the connection information directly under the account name at the top left of the Account Register.

• Cindi Anderson
    Options
    Direct Connect.  Thanks
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Well, that shoots to heck my initial thought on what might have caused this to happen. 
    But there are some other things we can explore.  First, you might want to try validating your data file (File > Validate and Repair File > check the box for Validate File > OK).  This process can fix some data and program issues.  Try updating the account via Update Now (Account Register > upper right Gear icon > Update Now).
    If that does not work:  Create a new data file (File > New Quicken File).  Name it what you want...TEST would be a good name.  Do not set it up for Mobile and Web.  Log in with your current Quicken ID and PW.  After the file is created, try adding your E-Trade account via Add Account > Quicken E*TRADE > Advanced Options > select Direct Connect > Next.  Let me know what the result was.

• Cindi Anderson
    Options
    It did a couple repairs and said the file was fine.  When I downloaded just quicken it OL-292-B Quicken is unable to complete your request as it is invalid.  But when I do a full download it doesn't give an error and just says there were no new transactions.

I didn't try the new file yet. Do you know what that error code means?
  • Boatnmaniac
    Options
    This error code means that the financial institution rejected the connection request as being invalid.  That can be due to any number of reasons, including E-Trade's server being down for maintenance or repair.   In this case, it is usually just a matter of waiting until the next business day and then try, again. 
    There are some other possible causes and troubleshooting steps you can take per this Support Article: Error When Using Online Services: OL-292 [Support Article].
    Regarding the new file I'd suggested:  It could be that there is some sort of corruption in your data file.  If you can connect and get download with a new file it is a good indication that the issue might be in your main data file.  But if you get the same error message in the new file then it's a good indication that the issue is not in your main data file.

This discussion has been closed.