Reconciliation on a non-bank account

BernieC
BernieC Member ✭✭
This with r45.13 on win10. I have an account that it not online-downloaded and not a bank account. It is just a store account that I get a monthly statement for. And it has always just brought up a reconcile window and I can "R" the transactions that cleared in my account and manually enter in the new transactions for the month. Worked great for years.

This morning when I went to reconcile the account it opened it as a *bank* account asking me about interest charges. Asking to enter the usual "bank" things:
Ending statement date, service charger, etc, etc. and it's cute: the prior statement date is in 2016 :smile:

Something has clearly changed in Q since the last time I reconciled that account.. What do I have to do to get Q to just let me by-hand reconcile the transactions

Best Answer

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Do Help > About Quicken and you'll see your release number.  To roll back you'll just follow the link and click on any release prior to yours that you hope might work.  It will download into your computer - almost certainly ending up in the Downloads folder - and all you need do is click on the file to kick it off.
    Before you do anything though you might try, if you haven't already, simply closing Quicken, maybe even re-booting the computer, then open Quicken again to see if things are set to right.  If that doesn't work then doing the Copy and Validate process on the file - third item listed here: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows - might correct any data corruptions that are responsible for what you're experiencing.

Answers

• Tom Young
    The last statement date is calculated by Quicken by reference to the latest dated transaction with an "R" in the Clr column.  If you look at the Account, has something messed with the Rs in the Clr column for earlier transactions? 
    It appears that the R45.XX updates have created a lot of problems and maybe that's the source of the weirdness?  You might want to open roll back to an earlier release just to see if that clears things up.  You only need run a Mondo patch for one of the earlier releases - some are suggesting 44.28 - by selecting the Mondo patch available here:
    After updating you might want to restore a known-good backup, (hopefully from "yesterday") to get a fresh start.
  • BernieC
    BernieC Member ✭✭
    Nope -- the account is perfect: all the entries are "R"ed and the account balance is zero {which is correct: when I do the by-hand reconcile, I also pay the bill and so it always ends up with a zero balance]

I'm nervous about this roll-back stuff -- last time I tried it it hosed my quicken and it was a mess to straighten out.. Since Quicken was working perfectly for this account when I last by-hand reconciled it on 11/15, perhaps I only need to go back to the last version before that date? I have no idea how to do that, though, so I'll need some hand-holding. thanks!
  • Tom Young
    Answer ✓
    Do Help > About Quicken and you'll see your release number.  To roll back you'll just follow the link and click on any release prior to yours that you hope might work.  It will download into your computer - almost certainly ending up in the Downloads folder - and all you need do is click on the file to kick it off.
    Before you do anything though you might try, if you haven't already, simply closing Quicken, maybe even re-booting the computer, then open Quicken again to see if things are set to right.  If that doesn't work then doing the Copy and Validate process on the file - third item listed here: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows - might correct any data corruptions that are responsible for what you're experiencing.
  • BernieC
    BernieC Member ✭✭
    It validated OK< but I think I figured out the problem, so I'm OK now. thanks for the help/advice
This discussion has been closed.