Change category for all instances of a single payee (Q Mac)

Options
pwedeba2004
pwedeba2004 Member ✭✭
I've read all the explanations online and I still can't figure out how to do this! Help please!

Quicken automatically categorizes "Joe Blow Company" as shopping. I want all instances of Joe Blow Company to be automatically categorized as Home Improvement.

Quicken automatically categorizes "John Smith Company" as Uncategorized. I want all instances of John Smith Company to be automatically categorized as Travel.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Does QMac not have a Find/Replace function?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    You posted in a QMac category but your profile says you use QWin. Which is it?
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And, QWin definitely has a Find/Replace function ... it's on the EDIT menu.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• RickO
    Options
    QMac does not have Find/Replace. It has the ability to change some fields. I'll describe in detail if this is confirmed to be a Mac question.
  • pwedeba2004
    pwedeba2004 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I guess I didn't phrase my question correctly. Yes, this is a Mac question. Latest version of Quicken Mac. I've had Quicken for a long time but only now daring to use it. I hope this time I am making more sense. Sorry to trouble you with this question.

When a charge from a payee appears for the first time in the register Quicken inserts what it thinks the charge was for. Let's say the payee is called Ace Supplies. Quicken inserts uncategorized for that particular transaction. I can change that from uncategorized to Auto Repair, for instance. However, the next time there is a purchase from Ace Supplies it again appears as uncategorized and I have to change it to Auto Repair. What I'd like to do is have every time a charge from Ace Supplies comes in that charge is listed as Auto Repair, not uncategorized.
  • RickO
    Options
    What you want to use is QuickFill rules. You can create these manually in Window > Payees & Rules > QuickFill Rules by clicking the plus sign at the bottom. You also manually create a QuickFill rule by selecting a transaction in a register, the clicking Transactions > Save QuickFill Rule. Finally, you can have Quicken automatically save a QuickFill rule when you edit a transaction by going to Quicken > Preferences > Register and checking the box "Automatically create rule when I edit a transaction" and choosing to include all fields or only the category.

To change existing instances in a register, filter the register for the payee using the search box, top right. Select all the filtered transactions, then menu File > Get Info. Fill in the new category and click OK. However, this is not a true find & replace in that it will not affect any split transactions. Those you will have to change one by one.
This discussion has been closed.