how reassign category for specific transaction? (automatically going forward)

Options
rdn55
rdn55 Member ✭✭
Say I imported my credit card transactions and there is a transaction "joe's bbq" (for example) and the transaction has "no" category or even the wrong category assigned. So then I manually assign it. My question is going forward when I import that transaction again, will I have to keep manually assigning the correct category or can I create a rule to ensure it gets the correct category automatically going forward?

Best Answer

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    You can create a Memorized Payee for Joe's bbq so whenever Quicken sees that Payee, it assigns it to Food & Dining > Restaurants or whatever.
    QWin Premier subscription

Answers

• Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @rdn55

CNTL - T

you should see Joe's BBQ in the list with the category you chose.  Q will use that category each time it appears going forward.  Be sure there box stating 'do not autocategorize' is NOT checked. and if there is a 2nd entry for Joe's , just right click on the one you don't want and delete it. 
  • Jim_Harman
    Answer ✓
    Options
    You can create a Memorized Payee for Joe's bbq so whenever Quicken sees that Payee, it assigns it to Food & Dining > Restaurants or whatever.
  • rdn55
    rdn55 Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @Jim_Harman said:
    > You can create a Memorized Payee for Joe's bbq so whenever Quicken sees that Payee, it assigns it to Food & Dining > Restaurants or whatever.

I created the rule/memorized payee but its not changing my other instances. Do I need to click a button to jump start the rule?
  • Jim_Harman
    Options
    As you asked in your question, a Memorized Payee only affects transactions going forward.

If you want to change transactions you have already accepted, you can sort your transactions by Payee by clicking on the Payee header in the register. Then select the transactions you want to change with Shft-click or ctrl-click, right click on the selection,and select Assign Category...
This discussion has been closed.