Net Worth Report and Account Balances do not match
I have identified the inaccurate values are related to securities that had a stock split transaction. All stock split transactions were manually entered. Any thoughts?
I have not observed any Net Worth report balance issues being caused by stock split transactions. But what I have found is that the Net Worth report needs to be customized when new securities are added or there are corporate spinoffs so those new securities are captured by the report. What I do is to go into the report customization popup and on the Securities tab click on the "Select All" button and then click on the "OK" button. For me that will usually resolve any differences between the Net Worth report and Account Balances.(QW Premier Subscription: R47.15 on Windows 11)0
I did check the securities listing based on the concern you indicated. However, after an exhaustive review of Net Worth values, I have since noticed that the Net Worth values do not align in various windows/views. For example the Account Bar Net Worth value (which reflects the accurate account values) do not match any report values as shown in Dashboard, Main View Net Worth etc.
I was able to identify the transactions which impacted the Net Worth valuations on one report by probing the transactions associated with the Net Worth report. There were 2 investment accounts that were inaccurate by thousands of dollars. The probe lead to all errors associated with transactions that had stock splits. I reviewed the transactions and cannot find any input errors.
On another associated Net Worth screen in Dashboard, the Assets are off by 14%! Here is a screenshot
[Redacted - Personal Information]0
I will begin by acknowledging the problem is: the Accounts Bar valuations in some investments accounts do not match the values in the Accounts Balance and Net Worth reports. In an attempt to solve this issue, I rerviewed in detail two investment accounts that are almost identical in the sense the difference is simply each investment IRA account is held by different individuals (spouse and myself). One is accurate the other is off by thousands of dollars. After review of each transaction for each account I cannot find any disparity in entry methods. I was able to change the incorrect value in the Accounts Balance report by changing tranactions from Bought to BoughtX, however this simply now makes the the Accounts Bar value incorrect by an amount of the transactions. I originally thought the problem was a stock split problem in my initial inquiry which is not the case.0