How to Combine Credit Card

Options
w1rm
w1rm Member ✭✭
My wife's business has a credit card account. She and I (her husband) each have a card and each card has a unique account number. When I download transactions, they are applied to the correct card. But, Quicken recognizes these two cards as one account so the balance is the total expenses/payments on each are totaled and don't reconcile. How do I tell Quicken to combine them when it comes to reconciliation?

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If all transactions are settling into the same Account, I don't understand how you wouldn't be able to reconcile the Account, in total.  You seem to be saying that the reconciliation process is somehow splitting the transactions apart (one reconciliation for each card?) and I can't understand how that's even possible.  My wife and I have differently numbered cards in our joint Amex Credit Card Account, but I'm not aware of any "card" field that's available to split the transactions between the two different cards, unless that's something that's available in the Business product of Quicken?
  • elvee
    elvee Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't think your problem is too serious. I handle 3 cards at Citi and about 6 accounts at Vanguard. The fix is usually easy.

1. When you log in to the bank are all the accounts visible using one ID and password? If not, that needs to be fixed first. If  they are, move on.

2. Is each account set up as individual accounts in Quicken. They will need to be unique,including their own registers, like having a checking and a savings account at one bank. If the accounts are separate in Quicken, move on.

3. Go to Tools - Account List. Find the account you want to work on and click edit. When the next widow opens, click on Online Services. Next, click on deactivate. This will break all the links for you.

4 Once Quicken is done deactivating, click on activate. You will set this up just like you did before. Once Quicken connects with your bank it should have found both accounts. It will then ask you what to do with each account. This is where you aim the bank account to the Quicken account. When done, Quicken should have both accounts set up.

Good Luck.
  • w1rm
    w1rm Member ✭✭
    Options
    Chase appears to be delivering the total amount for both cards as the balance and not for the individual cards. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the accounts to Chase but the results are the same. Auto reconcile using the on line balance does not work.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "Chase appears to be delivering the total amount for both cards as the balance and not for the individual cards."
    That's exactly the situation I described above with our joint AMEX card - different numbers on the card, you can see online which card is used for each charge, but both cards download into one Quicken Account.  So, within Quicken you can't reconcile to individual card amounts because no individual card amounts are available in Quicken.  You reconcile to the balance of transactions for the two cards.
    If you want to have separate Accounts in Quicken you have to set it up that way out in the real world.  My wife have separate Discover cards, we get a statement for each card and activity is accounted for in Quicken in separate Accounts. 
This discussion has been closed.