How do I enter a split transaction so that it matches the total in the Account register?

Options
Manofaction!
Manofaction! Member ✭✭
I'm using Windows Subscription version. When entering a split, after I enter the amounts and categories in the split Dialog box and hit OK it reverts what were debits to the account to a deposit in the register. I am able to correct it eventually but it usually takes multiple attempts. The help instructions do not include enough information to help me figure this out. It seems any edits to what I previously entered (before saving the transaction) Generate a line that captures the amount of the change. If I make 3 changes these accumulate on the last line until I delete them and hit the adjust button to get the total to match the amount I entered in the register but will still change the transaction to a deposit in the ledger. I have then been going back into the split dialog and highlight each amount and add a minus to each line, having those amounts accumulate again on the last line, delete and adjust only to have them revert back again after hitting OK. Am I missing a step?

Best Answer

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    When you're starting a new register transaction and immediately go into Split transaction entry while the total transaction amount is still $0.00, you need to be sure to enter individual split amounts with the correct sign: negative amounts for charges, positive amounts for deposits.
    But, if Quicken knows that the total transaction amount is for a charge (expense) because you entered it into the register field for Charge (or Amount as negative number), then the Split amounts can be entered as positive numbers for charges (and negative numbers for rebates, refunds, deposits)

Comments

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It sounds to me like your Reminder might be an Income Reminder instead of a Bill Reminder.  The dollar amounts for both generally should be entered as positive numbers and will show in the reminder as positive numbers.  But one (the Income Reminder) will enter it into the register as a credit while the other (the Bill Reminder) will enter it into the register as a debit. 

Before proceeding I suggest you backup your data file.  Then:
    • Set up a new Reminder making sure it is a Bill Reminder.  Just enter positive numbers.  Then enter the 1st reminder into the register as a test to see if it was entered correctly as a debit.  If it did, then you can delete this test transaction and go to the next recurrence of the reminder making sure to select the correct date for the next payment.
    • Then delete the reminder (and all future occurrences of it) that you have been having the problem with.
    If this is the cause the issue should now be resolved.  Let me know if that is the case or if I am misunderstanding something.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    When you're starting a new register transaction and immediately go into Split transaction entry while the total transaction amount is still $0.00, you need to be sure to enter individual split amounts with the correct sign: negative amounts for charges, positive amounts for deposits.
    But, if Quicken knows that the total transaction amount is for a charge (expense) because you entered it into the register field for Charge (or Amount as negative number), then the Split amounts can be entered as positive numbers for charges (and negative numbers for rebates, refunds, deposits)
  • Manofaction!
    Manofaction! Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you for the help! I am entering these manually when running into the issue. I will look to use reminders to help minimize my potential user errors. I have been entering the total in the register prior to opening the split dialog after I found that the split dialog changed with my entries so I could stay on track with the actual total I needed to record. That is where my error is. I had been entering them as a negative value in both places. I have altered my approach and it is working as it should!
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    May I ask what transactions you are splitting?  There might be a better way to enter them.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Manofaction!
    Manofaction! Member ✭✭
    Options
    I am entering all purchases and splitting the items and taxes on each invoice. An easier way is always welcome.
This discussion has been closed.