"Quicken is Still Connecting Your Biller" Error

I am having fits with online bill manager lately. Its never been great, but it is now becoming almost useless. More online bills than not are returning this error which I have never seen before...... "Quicken is Still Connecting Your Biller"  American Express is one biller that I never had any issues out of and it is now a top contender in having issues with. I have 3 Amex accounts, none will connect. They would connect when nothing else would in the past. 

I've been experiencing this for several months now and it seems to be getting worse and involving even more and more online billers. I am a long time user and have probably 20+ online billers and 50+ total online & manual as I run a real estate business or try to with Quicken. I did note two announcements that spoke of this issue, one specifically posted by @Quicken Anja and another announcement about issues with American Express. Seems I spend more time troubleshooting and loading & reloading billers than I do actually getting real accounting work done. I am very frustrated with this! 

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

About your Bill Manager issues

My 2cents' worth, if I may:

I don't use Bill Pay services or Bill Manager at all, neither the one from Quicken nor the one offered by my bank. Since time "B.I." (before the Internet was invented) I have set up almost all of my recurring payments as Direct Debit, PAC Draft, Autopay, APS, whatever the biller calls it. Using the biller's website, I authorized the biller to electronically debit each payment directly from my checking or credit card account on due date. Now I can sit back, relax and wait for it to happen. Instead of  having to arm-wrestle Bill Manager into making payment on time I let the biller do all the work for me.

When I get notified of a new statement having arrived, usually by email, all I have to do in Quicken is to run a regular scheduled reminder to record the transaction. Haven't missed a payment in many years.

I recommend you do the same instead of fighting the Bill Manager windmill, missing payments and getting slapped with penalty interest rates or late fees.

• jnprop
    jnprop Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 5
    @UKR  I hear you! And I'm getting close to this position. However, it "irks" the heck out of me that a feature is offered that is pretty much useless.  And if the feature would work as its supposed to it would be great and is a good thing! But the headaches that one encounters to even try to use it are endless. Second, I have a tendency to want to monitor things in my business as the bills come in. If I put it all on autopay I will have a tendency to not keep up with it as well. Third, while I do have the cash reserves to let it ride like this (have been where I don't), many don't and could never let autopay completely run their bank account as they may have to pay one thing, wait till more money comes in to pay another, etc.  But again, I here you and I may just have to get to this. 

The other option is to just delete all Online Billers and keep everything manual like it was before Bill Manager was created and use that manual list to go to each respective companies website and make your payment.  I've thought of that too. 

For your auto pay bills, do you have the respective manual bill set to auto enter around the time the bill will be withdrawn from you account? I ask this because I have some bills that do not have the Online Billing option and I do have them set up to auto-pay through the company. Then, I have them set up to auto enter. Which is another problem I am having with Quicken in the past six months. I have reported this but nothing has changed. I have bills set to auto enter and they never get entered. And when this happens you can't enter the bill after the fact. You just have to skip it and enter it manually. This was a feature that worked when nothing else did. A very basic feature that has been around since the beginning of time but now does not work consistently. I've tried the suggested fixes but nothing changed for me. So as I ponder even putting my bills on auto pay and thus auto enter, I will encounter yet another useless feature of Quicken. I wish there were viable alternatives but their is not that I have seen. I like running my personal finances along with my Business finances in one program. I'm more aware of such a thing. Seems things like this are just not important and never get fixed.