Categories broken? (Q Mac)

Options
Eric
Eric Member ✭✭✭
I have several categories that no longer exist when I try to select them. Yet, they show up under Window:Categories just fine. When I run a report for year to date, these categories are absent. However, if I run a report that includes last year, OR just look at last year's transactions, the categories exist just fine. Seems like these categories are only absent starting this year. By the way, I can type them in, and Quicken does not act like they are new (and ask if I want to add). But, after I SAVE the transaction, the category reverts back to Uncategorized.

Comments

• Eric
    Eric Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Workaround : simply make new categories with same exact attributes and use them instead. Then, merge with the old category, delete the old category, all "fixed" !
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    What report are you using? If it's a report using the old Category Summary, this report is known to omit data and cause a variety of problems. The solution is to not use the old Category Summary report at all, and in instead use reports utilizing the modern reports engine (Category Summary by Year or Category Summary Year to Date or New > Summary Report). Don't know which your report is? The top of the report has multiple clues…

This is the old Category Summary report heading. If you see this, stop using this report immediately, and re-create your parameters using the new category summary reports.

This is the modern Category Summary by xxx report heading. Tell-tale differences include the View option in the menu bar and the rows of filters for Type, Row, Column and Interval.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Eric
    Eric Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't have any trouble with these categories in REPORTs. I'm unable to select them in TRANSACTIONs. They show up in the Window:Categories list just fine...but NOT in a Transaction's CATEGORY list . All previous transactions that use them still have them. I'm just not able to use them since beginning of these year, in a TRANSACTION...even the categories in my scheduled transactions turned in Uncategorized.
  • Eric
    Eric Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Just discovered that the Investment category, which is "Required" has disappeared from the Category list in TRANSACTIONS. It is still there with all its subcategories under Window:Categories, or Reports, but not selectable or settable in the Transaction register. It's going to be a pain to "repair" it using my scheme above due to the number of subcategories.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    You cannot use the categories under Investments in banking-type transactions, and they don't show up in the drop-down menu of categories. Quicken uses those categories for calculating investment transactions, and doesn't allow them to be modified, added to, or manually used for other transactions. But this is not something new; it's always worked this way. Are you saying you previously had sub-categories under Investments? Quicken prevents creating sub-categories of Investments.

Perhaps if you supplied a screen shot, or a clear description of the actual categories you're working with, it would be easier to understand and offer suggestions.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Eric
    Eric Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Never mind. Turns out it was a rogue entry...no idea where it came from. Deleted it.
This discussion has been closed.