'Added' Transaction acting screwy (sometimes) in QW2007

jarhtmd
jarhtmd Member ✭✭✭
I know Q2007 is old . . . but so am I.

I use 'Added' transactions for mutual fund accounts when there is no monthly activity. They allow me to keep track of the security values. I add 0 shares at month-end share price.

This month I'm having problems (with only 1 account). It has worked fine (so far) with other accounts, including this one, for months/years.

Here's what happened. Dates were for most recent transaction in all cases.

1. I 'added' the correct share price. The security value changed to the same as # of shares.

2. I 'added' a 2nd transaction (later date) with $123.45 as a junk share price. The security value changed to $335K.

3. I deleted the transaction containing the junk price. The security value remained $335K.

Obviously, none of these gave the correct results.

Any/all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    What's the purpose of adding the 0 share when you can simply edit the price of the holdings?
    In my Q, which may differ a bit in QW2007, the sequence is INVESTING, Security List, click on the specific security and click on EDIT PRICE HISTORY.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can also have a Portfolio view showing Quotes and edit the values there.  Set the As of date as necessary, then work through each listed security to enter the price for that date.  

@jarhtmd - Your method is very convoluted and abnormal.  As such I would expect a greater risk of errors developing.
  • jarhtmd
    jarhtmd Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your reply. I followed your instructions (slightly modified for 2007). I added a very high price for today's date. It worked like a champ. The Securities Value in the lower right corner of the Transactions screen showed a new very high value.

Then . . . I repeated the procedure . . . this time I deleted the very high test price that I had entered.

The Transactions screen still shows the very high Securities Value that resulted from my test. The last transaction shown is 12/31/22 (not today).

Then just for "Truth in Advertising", I tried exiting Quicken and restarting. Lo & behold the correct value is shown on the Transaction screen.

Thanks, again, for your help.
  • jarhtmd
    jarhtmd Member ✭✭✭
    My problems with ADDED transactions seem to have mysteriously disappeared. Exiting Quicken and restarting didn't make any difference, as I previously thought. I think because the number and variety of my Vanguard activities last month, which were much more than usual, I just got confused. After fighting it (for way too long), I walked away, got a good night's sleep and woke up more clearheaded. I got things straightened out. So, it was some unknown user error.

All of my Quicken mutual fund accounts contain only 1 fund (SMF ?) although several (not all) are in the same Vanguard Brokerage Account. Since I've used ADDED often (w/o problems), I have decided that (for me) ADDED is less "convoluted and abnormal" than EDIT PRICE HISTORY. Without leaving whatever Quicken account that I happen to be working in, I simply enter the date, tab, "A" (auto-fills ADDED), tab, tab (leaving shares empty), enter price, Return. Done.

Maybe if I were fluent in accounting, EDIT PRICE HISTORY would be more natural for me.

Thanks, again, for your help and suggestions,
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    FYI - You should at least try to convert to the 2013 version since you don’t use any online services or download transactions now. Starting in 2014 they instituted an ID password to get into your own data. I’m staying on 2013. Then it should be more stable and run on newer computer systems.  2009 is unsupported so it won't send anything to Quicken.  And Intuit doesn't own Quicken anymore.  They sold it off many years ago.

You can download 2013 Deluxe for free using this how to convert article.  It’s under Converting from Quicken 2004-2009. Click on the blue words Quicken 2013 for Windows in step 3

FYI - All Quicken versions prior to QW2010 store your data in a series of files all sharing the same filename but with different extensions like - .IDX, .QEL, .QPH & .QDF, and all 4 of those files were rolled into a single-file .QDF in starting in 2010.

I still use Q2013 AND I am still able to download the price history and quotes.  So that will take care of updating your prices and current value.  

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

This discussion has been closed.