Projected Balances Issue

After updating to R46.12, my projected balances no longer are accurate. It seems that Quicken is not deducting future bills and not correctly depositing split paychecks. Is this happening to anyone else?
Tagged:

Best Answer

  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19 Answer ✓
    Some people have reported that R46.09 and R46.12 are dropping the categories in category splits that have more than 10 categories.  Do your paychecks have 10 or more categories included in the splits?
    If so, I suggest downgrading your version to R44.20.  IMO, R44.20 is that last stable and reliable version that has been released.  You can do this by going to Reinstalling and patching your Quicken Subscription version after your membership has expired [Support Article].  Scroll down and click on September 2022 and then click on the link for Release R44.20.  This will download the Mondo Patch for it.  Save the file and double click on it to start the downgrade process.  It will revert your current R46.12 installation to R44.20.  (Some people have said that R44.28 has worked well for them but I encountered a few issues with it so I am recommending R44.20, instead.)
    You should note that R46.XX updated Tax Planner to allow one to start using it for 2023 planning purposes, including updating the tax rates and accounting for other miscellaneous tax law changes.  If you revert to R44.20 you will lose the use of Tax Planner for 2023 for now.  When a fix comes out for this split categories issue the 2023 Tax Planner should also be usable, again.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R44.20 on Windows 11)

Answers

  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19 Answer ✓
    Some people have reported that R46.09 and R46.12 are dropping the categories in category splits that have more than 10 categories.  Do your paychecks have 10 or more categories included in the splits?
    If so, I suggest downgrading your version to R44.20.  IMO, R44.20 is that last stable and reliable version that has been released.  You can do this by going to Reinstalling and patching your Quicken Subscription version after your membership has expired [Support Article].  Scroll down and click on September 2022 and then click on the link for Release R44.20.  This will download the Mondo Patch for it.  Save the file and double click on it to start the downgrade process.  It will revert your current R46.12 installation to R44.20.  (Some people have said that R44.28 has worked well for them but I encountered a few issues with it so I am recommending R44.20, instead.)
    You should note that R46.XX updated Tax Planner to allow one to start using it for 2023 planning purposes, including updating the tax rates and accounting for other miscellaneous tax law changes.  If you revert to R44.20 you will lose the use of Tax Planner for 2023 for now.  When a fix comes out for this split categories issue the 2023 Tax Planner should also be usable, again.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R44.20 on Windows 11)
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've just seen a report that category splits that have been deleted while running R46.XX might not be able to be recovered by restoring a backup file from before the upgrade to R46.XX.  I have not been able to confirm this but I would suggest that you avoid restoring a backup file while your R46.12 is still installed.  Better to be safe than sorry by reverting to R44.20 or R44.28 as I'd mentioned in my last post before attempting to restore a backup file.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R44.20 on Windows 11)
  • bpolson2
    bpolson2 Member ✭✭
    No, I don't have that many category splits. It's only split among three accounts. I notice in the projected balances that some bills scheduled in the future aren't being deducted close the closing balance column under projected balances. Same with one of the paychecks that is split between two different checking accounts, the total balance is showing only in one account and not in the other. When I look at the splits, they show up, but for some reason aren't being accounted for in projected balances. Hopefully all that makes sense?
  • I have the same issue with my paycheck. The auto deposits are not showing on the projected tab. This is very frustrating. Is there a fix?
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    bpolson2 said:
    No, I don't have that many category splits. It's only split among three accounts. I notice in the projected balances that some bills scheduled in the future aren't being deducted close the closing balance column under projected balances. Same with one of the paychecks that is split between two different checking accounts, the total balance is showing only in one account and not in the other. When I look at the splits, they show up, but for some reason aren't being accounted for in projected balances. Hopefully all that makes sense?
    Yes, it makes sense.  While you do not have as many categories in the split what you describe sounds like the issue I've been hearing about.
    Have you considered reverting to R44.20 or R44.28 as I'd suggested above?
    I have the same issue with my paycheck. The auto deposits are not showing on the projected tab. This is very frustrating. Is there a fix?
    Which version are you running?  (Help > About Quicken)
    If you are running R46.9 or R46.12:  There is no fix for this, yet.  The only thing to do that I know of is to wait for Quicken to come out with a version update that fixes it.  That, or to revert to R44.20 or R44.28 as I'd suggested earlier in this thread.  (If you do this you will lose Tax Planner for 2023.  I'm assuming that once Quicken releases a version that fixes the problem then Tax Planner functionality will be restored.)
    (QW Premier Subscription: R44.20 on Windows 11)
  • jlaur_25
    jlaur_25 Member ✭✭
    Yes this happened after the latest patch. Anything beyond a simple income line and a few tax lines goes out the windows. The good news is the projected balance on my "Quicken on the Web" is correct. So I'm just going to wait until they fix this rather than downgrade. I only glance at the balance for a moment anyway just to make sure I have money in my checking account for future/one time only expenses.....hopefully yours works on the web as well. So far as I know there is no projected balance in the mobile app.
  • vic_user
    vic_user Unconfirmed, Member
    bpolson2 I was having this same problem. FYI: I had over 10 categories in my split. Boy, I wish my projected income looked like that for the next 12 months. :)

    Thanks for the temporary fix of going back to version 44.20. Any idea when Quicken is going to fix this problem? I really depend on the Projected Balances feature of this program.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    vic_user said:
    bpolson2 I was having this same problem. FYI: I had over 10 categories in my split. Boy, I wish my projected income looked like that for the next 12 months. :)

    Thanks for the temporary fix of going back to version 44.20. Any idea when Quicken is going to fix this problem? I really depend on the Projected Balances feature of this program.
    I'm glad to hear that reverting to R44.20 fixed the immediate issue for you.  Unfortunately, Quicken never tells us when a permanent fix will be put in place.  They simply say it is being worked on and then one day there is a new version released that fixes it.  I'm pretty sure that is what will happen this time, too.
    BTW, if you want to make sure that Quicken does not automatically update your version without your approval, you should adjust your User Account Control (UAC) setting as shown here in the following picture.  Windows should then notify you when Quicken and almost any other program tries to do an update and you will have the opportunity to accept it or deny it.

    (QW Premier Subscription: R44.20 on Windows 11)
  • bpolson2
    bpolson2 Member ✭✭
    > @Boatnmaniac said:
    > Yes, it makes sense.  While you do not have as many categories in the split what you describe sounds like the issue I've been hearing about.Have you considered reverting to R44.20 or R44.28 as I'd suggested above?
    > Which version are you running?  (Help > About Quicken)If you are running R46.9 or R46.12:  There is no fix for this, yet.  The only thing to do that I know of is to wait for Quicken to come out with a version update that fixes it.  That, or to revert to R44.20 or R44.28 as I'd suggested earlier in this thread.  (If you do this you will lose Tax Planner for 2023.  I'm assuming that once Quicken releases a version that fixes the problem then Tax Planner functionality will be restored.)

    I tried to downgrade to R44.20 AND I also tried R44.28 and I get this error everytime.

    Could not parse the URL "Home\AppData\Local\Temp\IXP000.TMP\current/wyserver.wys" - it's either malformed or is an unknown protocol.

    Any idea how to get past that?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

    In case of Patch installation error "Server file failed to load … Index and length …"
    please follow instructions here:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/patch-error-unable-check-updates-server-file-failed-load
    If the error message is about a file named "wyserver.wys", the problem is the Windows User Account name. If your Windows User files are located in a folder named, for example,
    "C:\Users\John Doe\..." (with a blank space between John and Doe)
    you need to create a new Windows User Account with Admin privileges and a name that does not contain a blank space, e.g., "John". Use the new account to install or update Quicken. Afterwards return to using your regular Windows User Account for running Quicken and doing all other work, as usual.

    If the user name is not the cause, try to enable and use the hidden Administrator account.
    See https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/enable-the-hidden-administrator-account-on-windows-vista/ how to do that. Supposed to work in all Windows versions.

    At your next migration to a new Windows version I recommend changing the username to remove the blank space. It appears to be a holdover from old Windows versions using the obsolete "Documents and Settings" folder structure.

  • bpolson2
    bpolson2 Member ✭✭
    > @UKR said:
    > In case of Patch installation error "Server file
    > failed to load … Index and length …"
    > please follow
    > instructions here:
    >
    > https://www.quicken.com/support/patch-error-unable-check-updates-server-file-failed-load
    >
    > If the error message is about a file named "wyserver.wys", the
    > problem is the Windows User Account name. If your Windows User files are
    > located in a folder named, for example,
    >
    > "C:\Users\John Doe\..." (with a blank space between John and Doe)
    >
    >
    > you need to create a new Windows User Account with Admin privileges and a name
    > that does not contain a blank space, e.g., "John". Use the new
    > account to install or update Quicken. Afterwards return to using your regular
    > Windows User Account for running Quicken and doing all other work, as usual.
    >
    > If the user name is
    > not the cause, try to enable and use the hidden Administrator account.
    >
    >
    > See https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/enable-the-hidden-administrator-account-on-windows-vista/
    > how to do that. Supposed to work in all Windows versions.
    >
    > At your next
    > migration to a new Windows version I recommend changing the username to remove
    > the blank space. It appears to be a
    > holdover from old Windows versions using the obsolete "Documents and
    > Settings" folder structure.

    Thanks! That worked!! Will have to remember to NOT put a space in when I do a new Windows install.