View Register when screen is not maximized

Options
Nard
Nard Member ✭✭
I sometimes want to split my Quicken screen any another app (say my cc statement for ex). I can then compare transactions on both. However, on some of account windows the it doesn't shrink to fit the registry so I only see a few columns. Yet other screens shrink the register so I see the whole thing. I can't figure out why it does this on some but not others.

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nard said:
    I sometimes want to split my Quicken screen any another app (say my cc statement for ex). I can then compare transactions on both. However, on some of account windows the it doesn't shrink to fit the registry so I only see a few columns. Yet other screens shrink the register so I see the whole thing. I can't figure out why it does this on some but not others.
    Hello @Nard,   

Thank you for seeking information about the Register appearance and how it interacts with maximization of screens with us here on the Quicken Community.

Are you noticing that the differences between accounts when it comes to whether or not they change size appropriately corresponds with Account Type? For example, are you noticing that Investment Accounts do not change in size as they should?

I look forward to your answers.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Nard
    Nard Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for your follow up.
    Good question, I knew I should have clarified this in my original post.
    In my "Banking" Account 3 out of 8 accounts do shrink to fit the screen, the rest do not.
    None of my "Investment" Accounts shrink to fit
    All of my "Property & Debt" Accounts do shrink to fit
    Not sure there is real pattern here.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Quicken is inconsistent on how this is handled.  And I might add there isn't any real standard of which way a program should behave.  If you squish all the columns together you might not be able to read anything, at least if you keep them the same size and allow scrolling you can see all the information.  But of course, if you are constantly changing the size/resolution of the window the other approach might make more sense.

First off, investment account column sizing is one for all.  As in they only save one set of sizes for all investment accounts.
    As such that is the size you are seeing.

Other account types save their column sizes as different amounts for each account type and if it is in one or two row mode.
    And it seems to be all over the place as to which account type shrinks the columns or not.  Checking accounts, yes.  Credit card accounts, no.  Savings accounts, no. Cash accounts, yes.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    For banking registers, try "Full screen mode" by using the "F11" key as a toggle. Removes the Account sidebar and some menu bars.
    Also use 2-line-per-transaction mode using CTRL-2 as a toggle, to make individual columns wider.
    Try not to use "View / Use large fonts" either.
  • Nard
    Nard Member ✭✭
    Options
    So I tried: Full Screen mode, 2 line vs 1, and I'm not using large fonts. In all cases it changes the screen as you would expect but still does change the shrink to fit.
    I have a fairly large screen with good resolution 1920 x 1080 so that's really not the issue.
    It's strange that one account will shrink to fit and I can still see the transactions fine, yet others won't do it. I don't see anything in any of the settings that are different between the accounts
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It should be noted that @UKR's suggestion wasn't an attempt to fix the problem, only as a workaround for maybe being able see more of the column data when it isn't shrunk.

The basic problem is defining exactly what the proper behavior is or better yet giving an option for it, and then be consistent with that in all registers.  Right now, it isn't and only the programmers and fix that.

Maybe posting this as an idea to get it changed might be the best thing to do.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Nard
    Nard Member ✭✭
    Options
    Well I'll keep an eye out to the posting...not a critical item but does provide convenience and efficiency if they can work it out.
    Cheers.
This discussion has been closed.