I have a new printer, and my checks are printing unaligned. How do I adjust for aligning checks?

MJMast
MJMast Member
How to align checks?

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    It's a bit of a convoluted process… ;)

First create a test transaction you want to print a check for. Put "PRINT" in the Check # column, or click int he Check # columns and select "Print Check" from the drop-down menu. Then select Print Checks from the File menu. Make sure just one transaction is selected in the Print Checks dialog box, and click "Print…". In the Print dialog box which now shows up, click the checkbox for "Adjust Alignment." This will show a screen were you can move the check printing left, right up and down with four arrow keys. Put plain paper in your printer, and click Print. Take the printed page and put it in front of one of your checks, and hold it up to a light. See how well it's aligned, and if you need to tweak things further. Repeat this process until the sample page looks like it would print correctly on your check stock. Then uncheck the Adjust Alignment box, put your check stock in the printer, and when you press Print, it will print the check.

Note that you can only move everything Quicken prints, together. there is no way to move the Memo line separately from the address block, for instance. This has been a source fo complaint from Quicken Mac users for years. you just have to come up with the best position you can and live with it if one line is a little out of place.  
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• jacobs
    Answer ✓
    It's a bit of a convoluted process… ;)

First create a test transaction you want to print a check for. Put "PRINT" in the Check # column, or click int he Check # columns and select "Print Check" from the drop-down menu. Then select Print Checks from the File menu. Make sure just one transaction is selected in the Print Checks dialog box, and click "Print…". In the Print dialog box which now shows up, click the checkbox for "Adjust Alignment." This will show a screen were you can move the check printing left, right up and down with four arrow keys. Put plain paper in your printer, and click Print. Take the printed page and put it in front of one of your checks, and hold it up to a light. See how well it's aligned, and if you need to tweak things further. Repeat this process until the sample page looks like it would print correctly on your check stock. Then uncheck the Adjust Alignment box, put your check stock in the printer, and when you press Print, it will print the check.

Note that you can only move everything Quicken prints, together. there is no way to move the Memo line separately from the address block, for instance. This has been a source fo complaint from Quicken Mac users for years. you just have to come up with the best position you can and live with it if one line is a little out of place.  
  • MJMast
    MJMast Member
    Thank you very much! NOWHERE in all my searches did anyone say "first create a test transaction you want to print a check for." After that key step, everything else is easy.
  • jacobs
    You could do the alignment process I described above with a real transaction; I just find it safer to use a dummy transaction you can then delete when things look correct.
This discussion has been closed.