Portfolio Review from Quicken Investments

Options
jbahensky2
jbahensky2 Member ✭✭
edited March 2023 in Investing (Mac)
Is there a way I can review the holdings in my entire Quicken Investment portfolio to see where I have overlap in terms of stock or mutual fund investment holdings?

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @jbahensky2 Of course, the stock holdings of mutual funds re ever-changing, but I don't know how often they are publicly updated; probably not more than quarterly? In any case as @Jon said, there is no way for Quicken to dig into each mutual fund for a breakdown of its holdings. 

That said, if you haven't already discovered it, Quicken does provide asset allocation breakdowns within mutual funds. they use data from an unknown third-party source (suspected to be Morningstar), to show the percentage/dollar amount of individual funds, an account, or all your accounts in a few big-bucket asset categories. You can work with this in three places:
    • Click on the Investments group, or the Brokerage or Retirement sub-groups, or a single account in the left sidebar. Click on the Dashboard tab, and one of the cards displays Asset Allocation. You can click on any of the categories (text or pie wedge) to get a list of all your securities contributing to that wedge. The detailed information shows you how much of each mutual fund's holdings are in this asset class. For instance, if I click on Small Cap Stock funds I see all my securities contributing to my total small cap holdings. And when I click on one of my holdings, such as Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund, it shows that 27% of this fund's makeup is small cap stocks.
    • Click on the Investments group, or the Brokerage or Retirement sub-groups, or a single account in the left sidebar. Click on the Portfolio tab, and set the filters to Portfolio Value and By Asset Class. Click on the ">" icon to the left of any asset class name to see the breakdown of assets contributing to your holdings in that class. In the Portfolio view, you can have columns which show your cost basis and gain/loss in total for over different periods of time. (An often undiscovered hint is that if you want to see a Portfolio view of more than one account, but not all accounts in a sub-group, you can do it using the third filter in the Portfolio view. For instance, if you have 6 brokerage accounts, but just want to see your three Fidelity accounts, start by clicking on Brokerage in the left sidebar. Pull down the third filter which shows All Brokerage Accounts, and select your first Fidelity account; then pull down the same menu and select the second Fidelity account, and repeat to select the third Fidelity account. This multi-account selection interface is a little cumbersome, especially if you have a lot of accounts, but at least it does let you group together whatever accounts you want for reporting.
    • If you're looking to see the asset class makeup of a specific fund, click on the fund name, click Edit Security, and click on View Asset mixture. You can override Quicken's downloaded asset breakdown here as well, if you wish to. For instance, my Vanguard Federal Cash Reserve Money Market Fund shows it is comprised of 79% cash and 21% domestic bonds; some users want their money market funds to be classified solely as cash, so you could uncheck the box for using the downloaded asset class information for that security, and change the allocation to be 100% cash. You can also enter the asset class information of any securities you might hold for which Quicken cannot obtain asset class data.
    None of this gives you specific companies within each fund's holdings, but it can still be useful to see if you have more or less invested in a particular asset segment which you might want to then examine more closely. You may also be aware that you can get additional data about a fund by clicking on its name in quicken and clicking on Security Overview, which opens a browser window with a bunch of data about the fund from Quicken's third-party data provider (again, thought to be Morningstar). Amount the details you'll see on this web page are the fund's top 10 holdings, as well as sector allocations (which Quicken doesn't track), and returns over various time periods. 

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• jacobs
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand what you want to see; do you want to see the holdings in each account? To do that, click on Inverting, click on Portfolio, and set the first filter to "Portfolio Value" or "Performance" and the second to "By Account". If you see just the list of your accounts, click the ">" icon to the left of each account name to expand each to show the securities held in each account. If that's not what you're looking for, please elaborate. 
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2023
    Options
    If by "overlap" you mean you want to know if you hold the same investment in more than one account, you can see that from the Investing Portfolio view. Set the view to show Portfolio Value, add the Account column to the view, and then sort the view By Security. If the Account column says "Multiple" for a security, then it exists in more than one account. You can expand that security to see all the lots & which accounts they are held in.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• jbahensky2
    jbahensky2 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you for this and this is helpful. Can I take it one step further though to see the individual stocks in a mutual fund and compare that to other mutual funds to see how much overlap there is in each one ?
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    No, you'll have to do that outside Quicken. Maybe someplace like Morningstar would have that kind of mutual fund comparison feature.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• jacobs
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @jbahensky2 Of course, the stock holdings of mutual funds re ever-changing, but I don't know how often they are publicly updated; probably not more than quarterly? In any case as @Jon said, there is no way for Quicken to dig into each mutual fund for a breakdown of its holdings. 

That said, if you haven't already discovered it, Quicken does provide asset allocation breakdowns within mutual funds. they use data from an unknown third-party source (suspected to be Morningstar), to show the percentage/dollar amount of individual funds, an account, or all your accounts in a few big-bucket asset categories. You can work with this in three places:
    • Click on the Investments group, or the Brokerage or Retirement sub-groups, or a single account in the left sidebar. Click on the Dashboard tab, and one of the cards displays Asset Allocation. You can click on any of the categories (text or pie wedge) to get a list of all your securities contributing to that wedge. The detailed information shows you how much of each mutual fund's holdings are in this asset class. For instance, if I click on Small Cap Stock funds I see all my securities contributing to my total small cap holdings. And when I click on one of my holdings, such as Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund, it shows that 27% of this fund's makeup is small cap stocks.
    • Click on the Investments group, or the Brokerage or Retirement sub-groups, or a single account in the left sidebar. Click on the Portfolio tab, and set the filters to Portfolio Value and By Asset Class. Click on the ">" icon to the left of any asset class name to see the breakdown of assets contributing to your holdings in that class. In the Portfolio view, you can have columns which show your cost basis and gain/loss in total for over different periods of time. (An often undiscovered hint is that if you want to see a Portfolio view of more than one account, but not all accounts in a sub-group, you can do it using the third filter in the Portfolio view. For instance, if you have 6 brokerage accounts, but just want to see your three Fidelity accounts, start by clicking on Brokerage in the left sidebar. Pull down the third filter which shows All Brokerage Accounts, and select your first Fidelity account; then pull down the same menu and select the second Fidelity account, and repeat to select the third Fidelity account. This multi-account selection interface is a little cumbersome, especially if you have a lot of accounts, but at least it does let you group together whatever accounts you want for reporting.
    • If you're looking to see the asset class makeup of a specific fund, click on the fund name, click Edit Security, and click on View Asset mixture. You can override Quicken's downloaded asset breakdown here as well, if you wish to. For instance, my Vanguard Federal Cash Reserve Money Market Fund shows it is comprised of 79% cash and 21% domestic bonds; some users want their money market funds to be classified solely as cash, so you could uncheck the box for using the downloaded asset class information for that security, and change the allocation to be 100% cash. You can also enter the asset class information of any securities you might hold for which Quicken cannot obtain asset class data.
    None of this gives you specific companies within each fund's holdings, but it can still be useful to see if you have more or less invested in a particular asset segment which you might want to then examine more closely. You may also be aware that you can get additional data about a fund by clicking on its name in quicken and clicking on Security Overview, which opens a browser window with a bunch of data about the fund from Quicken's third-party data provider (again, thought to be Morningstar). Amount the details you'll see on this web page are the fund's top 10 holdings, as well as sector allocations (which Quicken doesn't track), and returns over various time periods. 

This discussion has been closed.