Changing file name and deactivating accounts

Options
retird
retird Member ✭✭✭✭
I need to share a quicken file with the executor of our mother's will in another state but not give him the ability to do any OSU's of the financial accounts within the file.  

I will need to continue with the original file and periodic OSU's.

So I assume I can change the file name of a copy of the original file, open this new file, and clear the vault thus no OSU ability.  My original file will still be active and function properly, right? And the executor will be able to make only manual transactions and have no access to OSU of any accounts.

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the loss of your mother.  I've been there, myself, and know how painful that can be.
    I think the easiest way to do what you want to do is File > Copy or Backup File > Create a copy or template > select the desired date range > use the default file name that Quicken will give it (with "Cpy" in the name) or give it a new unique name.
    The copied file will have all online services disconnected, all UserIDs and PWs will be removed and it will be given a new Cloud Account ID so it will not conflict in anyway with your continued use of the original data file.  And all the accounts will still be able to be used manually.
    The executor will need to have Quicken installed with a current subscription in order to view and manually use the copied file.  But that subscription cost is very small when considering the entire scope of costs incurred in managing and closing out an estate.  And after the executor buys the subscription and then exports and/or prints out all the data that will be needed, the subscription can be canceled and a full refund can be obtained if it is requested within 30 days of purchase.
    Note that this process will not remove any account or routing numbers that might be shown in Account Details.  If you do not want the executor to see that information you will need to manually delete that before passing the file on to him/her.
    Any questions?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the loss of your mother.  I've been there, myself, and know how painful that can be.
    I think the easiest way to do what you want to do is File > Copy or Backup File > Create a copy or template > select the desired date range > use the default file name that Quicken will give it (with "Cpy" in the name) or give it a new unique name.
    The copied file will have all online services disconnected, all UserIDs and PWs will be removed and it will be given a new Cloud Account ID so it will not conflict in anyway with your continued use of the original data file.  And all the accounts will still be able to be used manually.
    The executor will need to have Quicken installed with a current subscription in order to view and manually use the copied file.  But that subscription cost is very small when considering the entire scope of costs incurred in managing and closing out an estate.  And after the executor buys the subscription and then exports and/or prints out all the data that will be needed, the subscription can be canceled and a full refund can be obtained if it is requested within 30 days of purchase.
    Note that this process will not remove any account or routing numbers that might be shown in Account Details.  If you do not want the executor to see that information you will need to manually delete that before passing the file on to him/her.
    Any questions?

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Boatnmaniac ... THX..... created a copy and modified it for the Executor's needs.....

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• Boatnmaniac
    edited February 2023
    Options
    @retird - You are very welcome.  BTW, I should have also mentioned that the executor, if he/she does not already have an accounting tool for tracking the estate assets, income, expenses and beneficiary distributions, might want to consider using that Quicken subscription for that purpose through the entire estate management and closure process instead of simply canceling it within 30 days.  I was the executor of my mother's estate and found Quicken to be an incredibly helpful tool for doing all this and in preparing the final reports that will need to be provided to the beneficiaries.
    One other comment:  The executor will need the financial account numbers and routing numbers along with any contact information that can be provided since the executor will need to work with the financial institutions to close out the accounts.

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    Options
    @Boatnmaniac Quicken made it easy to provide accurate data to the probate attorney. I must say that attaching documents in Quicken really helps too...  good day....

This discussion has been closed.