column widths for reports

Options
dave hulett
dave hulett Member ✭✭✭
edited February 24 in Reports

Been a quicken user for close to 20 years. One thing I keep asking for is to improve the ability of the user to set column widths. Example. I have a saved report for my account balances for the past 12 months. Two problems:
1st, the default column widths do not allow me to see all 12 months without scrolling. 2nd. Although I can change individual column widths I have to do it 12 times (for this particular report). Please allow us to adjust all the column widths with one command or mouse click. Its very cumbersome and time consuming to do so
3rd: when I save the report the column widths revert back to the default so I have to do this EVERY TIME I run the report

and we'll I'm at it, I use the large font view as the default font is hard to read. I'm aware that in preferences you can change the font size but doing so doesn't change the column width making a ridiculous looking report with a tiny font and a column width at least twice the size of the largest number.

Tagged:
18 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• johnlebas
    johnlebas Member ✭✭
    Options
    I have used Quicken since 1990. Until recently, this was not a problem. I do not know which release broke this functionality that had been in place for years. You would think that Quicken would test their releases before distributing them to find and fix bugs like this. And that they have not fixed this problem is unacceptable.
  • GregoryAChilds
    Options

This is my number one complaint as I waste so much time adjusting the columns every time I return from the register!

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@GregoryAChilds

Quicken has made some changes to the reports recently. What version are you running?

Also there are over 40 built in reports and they are all different. What particular report(s) are not saving the column widths?

What exactly are you doing when you "return from the register"? Are you accessing a saved report or one of the built in reports?

QWin Premier subscription
  • dave hulett
    dave hulett Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

NONE of the reports allow you to save changed column widths. running R52.28 After changing column widths I save the report to "my saved reports" been complaining about this for years.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@dave hulett

Some reports, such as the Banking Transaction report, now save changed column widths as soon as you make the change even if you don't save the report. Other reports now let you auto-size the column widths.

QWin Premier subscription
  • WvomSaal
    WvomSaal Member
    edited February 24
    Options

Search for "column widths" in these discussions and you will find MANY different threads complaining about the inability to set and save the column widths in reports. [Removed - Speculation] I have used Quicken for many years and am very happy with many of its features. But the inability to produce a properly formatted report that I can print and share is a major concern. Please escalate this problem and fix it!

• thomaswolf1096
    Options

This is still a problem. I have told Quicken many times over 50 years and still they do not fix it. Seems simple fix.

• Alan_Jay_Weiner
    Alan_Jay_Weiner Member
    edited February 24
    Options

This has been a problem for years. [Removed - Disruptive] Every time I change a transaction and the report updates, it [messes] up the columns! [Removed - Rant]

• thg
    thg Member ✭✭
    edited February 24
    Options

Problem still persists even though I receive update loads many times each year.[Removed - Rant]

• Kathryn See
    Kathryn See Member ✭✭
    edited February 24
    Options

[Removed - Off Topic]

• Judy
    Judy Member ✭✭
    Options

I agree that this is a very time-consuming, irritating and frustrating defect in Reports. For preparing for my tax return, I run the Itemized Category Report, that I customize each year, with the same format. I run the report and every time I leave the screen, the column widths change and in order to see the information I need, I am constantly having to resize the column widths. Columns such as Tags, for example, are much wider than the Description column. I want to see the Category, Description, Account, Amount, etc. all on one screen, without having to constantly adjust the column widths. Please prioritize this fix as I now see that so many other people have complained about this for many years and it is still not fixed.

• Dean100
    Dean100 Member ✭✭
    Options

I agree. The all-important Date column is completely collapsed in the indented views. Nor does Saving a report preserve the expansion of hierarchy. Ridiculous. I have written better software than this!

• Truaxis
    Truaxis Member ✭✭
    edited March 26
    Options

Not only a vote for default column widths but also default column TITLES!! EVERY time I run a report I have to go back to "Customize" and check "Amount" and deselect Tag, Tax Item, and Notes. The whole point of having financial software is to see NUMBERS! That's what AMOUNT shows!! As a 30+ year user, Quicken used to do this. Come on guys, WAKE UP! To have the best financial software on the planet you can't program default settings for column width and column titles?? I might as well go back to my original Quicken for DOS!!