Account numbers for transfers truncated to ...XXXX

amdeets
amdeets Member ✭✭
I have three Chase checking accounts set up to funnel tuition/spending money to my three college kids. When I look at the transaction records in Quicken, the transfers only show: "Online Transfer to CHK ...XXXX transaction#: (date)". So when I'm trying to figure out who got what money, I have to go back to Chase and manually verify which account it actually transferred into. I understand that it might be Chase that dictates what information is downloaded into each field - is there any workaround or way to nickname the external accounts so that I can see? I believe I have the same problem paying two different credit card bills from my checking account...it shows similar "Payment ...XXX" so I can't see which credit card got paid.

Comments

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2023
    Are the truncated account numbers unique? If so, then you could set up renaming rules to change the payees to something that more clearly describes the destination account.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• amdeets
    amdeets Member ✭✭
    Unfortunately all three accounts come in truncated exactly as I typed above - so Quicken thinks they're all the same account
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I don't know what else you could do other than to manually enter those transfers ahead of time with better names & then match them up when they download. I'm not sure if Quicken will be able to automatically match them or not.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @amdeets I'm not clear if this is in the Payee field or the memo field? But the more important question is whether Quicken is truncating the account numbers, which seems unlikely, or if Chase is truncating the numbers, which seems much more likely. If it's Chase, then there's nothing Quicken can do about it. click on one of these transactions and select View > Show Inspector. Statement Payee and Statement Memo at the bottom of the Inspector window should show you exactly what the financial institution is sending to Quicken.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • amdeets
    amdeets Member ✭✭
    > @jacobs said:
    > @amdeets I'm not clear if this is in the Payee field or the memo field? But the more important question is whether Quicken is truncating the account numbers, which seems unlikely, or if Chase is truncating the numbers, which seems much more likely. If it's Chase, then there's nothing Quicken can do about it. click on one of these transactions and select View > Show Inspector. Statement Payee and Statement Memo at the bottom of the Inspector window should show you exactly what the financial institution is sending to Quicken.

It's the Payee field, and yes it's still truncated in the Inspector view. As it seems clear that it's a problem with how Chase is exporting the data, I'll reach out to them to see if anything can be done.

I'd just wondered if anyone else had this same problem!
  • fulwild
    fulwild Member ✭✭
    I have the same issue with Chase. I'm collecting a list of stuff for when I feel like crusading.

I started adding $.01 to one kids transactions as that took less time than trying to figure out another way.
  • fulwild
    fulwild Member ✭✭
    I think it's a Chase issue. From inspector "Online Transfer to CHK ...XXXX transaction#: XXXXXXXXXXX"
  • amdeets
    amdeets Member ✭✭
    For anyone following, the response from Chase was basically "There's no feature that allows you to change/turn off the masking of the account numbers + 8 paragraphs on why it's risky to connect Chase to an outside third party and they're not responsible, etc." Super helpful!
  • amdeets
    amdeets Member ✭✭
    > @fulwild said:
    > I have the same issue with Chase. I'm collecting a list of stuff for when I feel like crusading.
    >
    > I started adding $.01 to one kids transactions as that took less time than trying to figure out another way.

This is actually genius - so for my first kid, a $20 transfer would be 20.01, the second kid would get 20.02, etc. Might start doing that!
  • This is not mac only. I used win 11. Mine started it sometime in August of last year. I have now paid for the quicken support, and chase says its not them. Chase says if you can manually down load the file, and it imports in correctly, without any XXX, then it is a quicken problem
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

In case you have issues with transfer transactions not being generated correctly:

For best results manually enter transfer transactions into your register BEFORE you download transactions from the bank which contain the transfer confirmations. For recurring transfers use scheduled reminders and enter them a day or two before the due date. 
    Be sure to use distinct Payee Names for each transfer / credit card payment to avoid confusing Quicken - memorized payee entries.
    That takes the guesswork out of the download process. Because a correctly entered transfer transaction already exists in your account registers, the download process should just match the downloaded transfer transaction to the existing one in both accounts.

This discussion has been closed.