import from quicken 2017 to subscription quicken questions (reverted back to original)

Options
I have quicken 2017 (disc) loaded on a windows 7 machine. I have bought another laptop with Windows 10. What issues if any will I have if I buy quicken subscription for the windows 10 machine and import the .qdf file from Quicken 2017 from the old machine. I have the .qdf file on a usb flash drive. Does everything import correctly? bank accounts, investment accounts, liability, 401k , IRA, anything else

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There shouldn't be any import problems.  In fact, Quicken 2017 and Quicken Subscription use the same data format (no conversion is needed).
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You should not have any big issues. You are not really “importing” anything. You are just opening the older file with a newer program version. 

With the older version, I would:
    Create a copy of the data file which will wipe out and condense previously deleted data
    Validate the copy to make sure it is as clean as possible
    Be sure to have a good backup of that clean file. 

You may find that previously saved reports are damaged in the updating and need to be recreated. Less likely just jumping forward from 2017. 

You probably want to stay at the same program style you currently have (Premier, Deluxe, etc.) but you can also back off to the Deluxe level if that is satisfactory. You essentially lose the bells and whistles of the more expensive levels. I would avoid the Starter level. 

If you have archived files with historical data not in your primary file that you might want to access in the future, I suggest you access them one time with the new version just to bring them up to date. 

I also suggest you print out (or pdf) an Account Balances report  (ALL accounts) from the 2017 version to have as a comparison to your new starting point with the new. 

I would probably go all the way to the current release R47.11, though there are some bugs still in play.  Some are more comfortable hanging back at the R44.28 release still. 

Should be about it, though I am sure I forgot something. 
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    just to clarify - if you have the 2017 version of the Quicken QDF file -
    you just copy that Quicken QDF file into the new computer Quicken folder.... /Quicken/
    and just "open it" with Quicken.... it will be updated in place -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• tlwright21
    tlwright21 Member ✭✭
    Options
    thank you all . I tried to load quicken 2017 from a disc into my HP Desktop with Windows 10 and it crashed the computer . won't boot at all. I essentially ruined a perfectly good desktop. messed around with every DOS command I could find and can't get it to boot. Bought a brand new laptop. won't be trying to load quicken 2017 on that although I wish I could. dont like having to pay for a annual subscription
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I tried to load quicken 2017 from a disc into my HP Desktop with Windows 10 and it crashed the computer . won't boot at all. I essentially ruined a perfectly good desktop.
    Yikes - don’t recall having seen that happen 

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.