Botched Amex Re-Authorization; Part Deux

dave344
dave344 Member ✭✭✭
On February 1, I posted a question entitled "Botched Amex Re-Authorization."

Quicken Kathryn replied that Quicken was aware of the problem and was working on a fix.

This morning when I initiated a One Step Update I was again prompted to re-authorize my Amex accounts but the process is still failing. 

Attached are screen shots of what I encountered.

Can some one let me know when this is fixed?
Tagged:

Answers

  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    How much time did go by between each step?
    After receiving image #5, how long did you wait before clicking on the Quicken Taskbar icon?
    Returning to Quicken, you should have had a different image before finally image #6 popped up.
    Yesterday I successfully reauthorized my AmEx accounts in about 1 minute total elapsed time.
  • Snorkle
    Snorkle Member ✭✭
    I can also report that I reauthorized successfully today without any issue. As @UKR suggests I did wait about 10 sec before returning to quicken. At some point it was reported that about 2500 transactions were downloaded so perhaps that is why it is necessary to wait a bit.
  • oakgrrl
    oakgrrl Member ✭✭
    edited February 15
    [Removed - Off Topic/Disruptive]
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Snorkle said:
    I can also report that I reauthorized successfully today without any issue. As @UKR suggests I did wait about 10 sec before returning to quicken. At some point it was reported that about 2500 transactions were downloaded so perhaps that is why it is necessary to wait a bit.
    From what I can tell, when it returns control back to Quicken, Quicken has to scan a large history of transactions trying to determine if they have already been downloaded or not.  One has to realize that when changing from Direct Connect to Express Web Connect all of the unique Id change and so Quicken can't use them for checking for duplicates transactions.  It seems to be doing some kind of compare to the transactions themselves.  And if you have multiple accounts, that increases the time too.  Based on reports from other conversions like when Chase did it, for some people this can be a considerable amount of time, as in minutes not seconds.

    But this kind of thing is different from the problem that @dave344 is showing.

    Quicken has a timeout on how long it should take before the financial institution flags it telling them that the accounts have been authorized and sending that needed information.  For some reason, for some people Quicken never gets the signal/information that the authorization has been done, and it times out like this.  This is based on past conversions/comments.  I don't remember all the details on how some people got around this, but one might be trying to set your web browser default to another browser.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • DavdM
    DavdM Member ✭✭
    I, too, get a "Successfully Reauthorized" message on the AmEx web page. But the next time I go to update, it says I need to re-authorize and it makes me go through the whole process again. Same thing every time I go to update. I did discover a workaround. Simply download your transactions from the AmEx web page - that works fine for me (and seems a bit faster than the Express Connect).
  • dave344
    dave344 Member ✭✭✭
    This evening I was prompted to re-Authorize my USAA Federal Savings Bank account.   I am happy to report that, like the Amex account, the re-Authorization was successful.

    Also, like the Amex account, it took a lot longer to complete than I expected.  As I mentioned earlier, the key is to be patient and give each screen time to process before you start clicking.  

    As frustrating as the experience has been for many of us, I do see it producing some very tangible benefits.  Previously I had to manually update my USAA Federal Savings Bank account because it would prompt me for my pin once it had logged in.  IOW, I could not run a One-Step Update that included my USAA Federal Savings Bank account because it would halt and prompt me to input a pin that it had sent to my phone before proceeding.  Now, after the successful re-authorization, the update proceeds without prompting.

    So I view this whole experience as a positive development, albeit a very frustrating one.  I have eight accounts associated with One-Step update and tonight was the first time in quite some time that all of them updated successfully without any user interaction.  Hopefully Quicken has come to some sort of an agreement with the many various financial institutions on a common protocol for data exchange/transmission and we will soon be able to put this whole issue behind us. 




This discussion has been closed.