Reports Viewing Inconsistencies

Options
20202 Member ✭✭
edited March 2023 in Reports (Mac)
Something that has always bugged me seems fixed, but only in some reports. When you have lots of rows in a report, scanning it is impossible. You could collapse all the rows, and then reopen the rows, but that is bad UI. I noticed that in the tax reports there is a "Top Levels Items Only" choice, which is a solution. But it's not available for other reports. Why is that? See photos:

Comments

• colorog33
    colorog33 Member ✭✭
    Options
    In a Report where is the tab to select Memo/Notes to come up with the Report?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    @colorog33 Click View > Columns, and then you can add Memo/Notes as a column. As with transaction registers, you can drag column headings left or right to change their order int eh report, and drag them wider or narrower to change their width.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    20202 said:
    I noticed that in the tax reports there is a "Top Levels Items Only" choice...  But it's not available for other reports. Why is that?
    I have no better answer than that it hasn't been programmed into the Reports engine for other types of reports. The tax reports are new additions to Quicken, with the exception of the old Tax Schedule Report. That old report uses the original reports engine which was carried over from the 2010 predecessor program, Quicken Essentials, and you'll note it has limited configurability. The other tax reports were added late last year, and are built using the modern reports engine. The "Top Level Items" option is new in these reports. There's no way any of us would know if know if they plan to add this setting to other reports.

But I'd note that if you have a transactions report by categories or payees, and were to compress it, it would basically be a Summary report by categories or payees — so we do have a way to switch between detail and summary, somewhat like Top Level Items does for the tax reports. But I understand that in the tax reports, you can then selectively expand a particular item if you want to, which you can't do in a transaction summary report. (Although you can double-click on the amount in any summary report line to open a drill-down report for that category or payee, which is similar to expanding the category or payee, except it's in an external report.) All of which is to say there are different ways to tweak different reports to try to get what you need, but not to say that adding a "Top Level Items Only" collapse option wouldn't be useful in other reports. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.