Preventing automatic category assignment

In preferences, I have not selected 'automatically categorize transactions" that are downloaded, yet Quicken chooses to do it anyway, selecting a category from those previously used with a payee. How can I make it stop doing this?

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    In preferences, I have not selected 'automatically categorize transactions" that are downloaded, yet Quicken chooses to do it anyway, selecting a category from those previously used with a payee. How can I make it stop doing this?
    Hello @Charles T Cullen,  

We are sorry about this problem with categories being assigned automatically. Thanks for inquiring about this here on the Quicken Community. 

In order to assist you further we will need some additional information. First, what financial institution is associated with the affected account(s)? Is more than one account exhibiting these symptoms? Also, are you entering transactions manually before a One Step Update, or before transactions are downloaded and imported? 

I look forward to your response, and I hope to provide more assistance, if necessary. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    Note that no matter if "automatically categorize transactions" is set or not, if you have match memorized payees, they will be used to categorize your downloaded transactions.

EDIT: Note in the memorized payee list there is a check box for every memorized payee that says not to automatically categorize using that payee.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.