Transactions Randomly Disappearing

Options
kms0521
kms0521 Member ✭✭
A similar message was posted in January 2022. I have had on at least three or four occasions in the past year or so where multiple transactions randomly disappear. This has been happening only in my checking account. I don't have the patience to go back and figure it out every time. What is causing this? If I restore a backed up file from the last time I used it, will I still be able to download the latest transactions again that were already downloaded?

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    After a restore, Quicken only knows about the transactions that were downloaded prior to making the backup, so you can re-download later the transactions again.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    One caveat. Restoring now forces a sync with the Quicken cloud even if you don’t have mobile/sync enabled. This forced sync can change transactions and balances in your restored file. Better to just copy and rename your backup file with Windows explorers and open the copy. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mshiggins said:
    One caveat. Restoring now forces a sync with the Quicken cloud even if you don’t have mobile/sync enabled. This forced sync can change transactions and balances in your restored file. Better to just copy and rename your backup file with Windows explorers and open the copy. 

Good point @mshiggins, I will have to amend my future responses to so reflect your information.

• FUMCMARY
    FUMCMARY Member
    Options
    It's very frustrating to have transaction disappear and balances changing. Why does this happen? What's entered should stay in the file, and balances should not be changed unless I make the change.
  • boyermichael942
    Options
    I want to scream! I opened quicken today and the number in my account looked off. I went to do a reconciliation and the LAST MONTH PRIOR BALANCE is NOT what was reconciled at the end of last month. I've gone back 3 months and all balances were off from what was previously reconciled. I opened a back up from the end of 2022 and the numbers in the backup are different for the last day of the year. So, transactions somewhere disappeared. I know this is not the 1st time it's happened. I reconcile every month and it happened before that the prior balance was off. Last time I thought maybe I did something by mistake. Now that I'm looking at backups, things are randomly disappearing. What's an easy way to find out what changed or disappeared? Can two files be compared? I don't have the time to hand check every file.
  • boyermichael942
    Options
    As a follow-up, I downloaded a backup to excel as well as my current file to excel and did a compare. I found the 2 transactions that disappeared. One was all the way back to 2/4/2022 and the 2nd one was from 12/30/2021. I found they were both TRANSFERS/PAYMENTS to a different account which I'll call AMEX. When I look at the AMEX account, I see the transactions are there and I see that for the Category it correctly shows the account where the data is missing. This makes no sense to me. How can the data be in one place, but not the other?
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Quicken does not have a file comparison tool that will find the difference between two files.
    One question though, are you using QMobile/QWeb?  Have you recently changed the download connection method from Direct Connect to Express Web Connect/Express Web Connect+ because your financial institution dropped Direct Connect?
    Both of these could be reasons for your data file changing unexpectantly.
    The EWC/EWC+ should stop after initial changeover issues are fixed, but the QMobile/QWeb can be on going and the only way around it is to stop using it and disabling Quicken syncing your accounts to the Quicken Cloud Account that is used by the mobile platform.
    Look at the Opening Balances of the accounts to see if they were changed which is a EWC/EWC+ issue.  Our consistent advice on that issue is to put the opening balance amount in the Memo of that transaction for easy future reference if it gets changed.

• smac
    smac Member ✭✭
    Options
    Same issue. Reconciled balance is incorrect. Balance is off back to 2006. Shows mulitple periods of running at a negative balance. No changes in download process. Not a transaction that matches the difference.
  • smac
    smac Member ✭✭
    Options
    Additional comment on my post. This is only happening with one account out of 9. All the other balances are correct, hidden and closed accounts are 0 balance.

- Wish there was a changes since last reconcile function.
  • Cory C Creamer
    Cory C Creamer Member ✭✭
    Options
    I'm having the same issue with one bank account. Restoring from a previous backup isn't a solution (while it may get a transaction back, it doesn't do anything to solve the problem of transactions disappearing). I have some transactions that just disappear.
This discussion has been closed.