How do I migrate from QWin 2016 to QMac (edit)

Options
I have Quicken Deluxe 2016 for Windows. I'm switching computers to a MAC. What do I need to do? I've been trying for a couple of weeks now. My main concern is being able to transfer my data to the new computer. Is this possible, since I'm going from Windows to MAC? My account produces an error message "needs to be migrated" which only goes to a blank screen, so I started a new account with a different email. I thought about starting a new Quicken subscription on my MAC, but I don't want to leave all my data behind. Would like to receive instructions, but there is no way to contact support. Surely this must have been done before.

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2023
    Options
    You say you are running QWin 2016. Is that a subscription version? If not, then yes, you will need a subscription to run QMac. Once you have a current subscription, then step one is to download the Mac Quicken app from your quicken.com account and install it on your Mac. Then when you launch it, you will see the option to start from a Quicken for Windows file. Point the dialog at the QWin file that you've moved over to your Mac.

That said, while it is possible to transfer a file from Windows to Mac, there are some caveats about what will and won't be imported from the QWin file. I've never done it myself and I'm not up to speed on that. Perhaps others will chime in, but if you search here on the forum you'll find lots of discussion about it.

One other thing, QWin 2016 is pretty old. I don't know if current QMac will import that file or if you may need to upgrade the file on the Windows side to a more current version first.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    RickO said:
    One other thing, QWin 2016 is pretty old. I don't know if current QMac will import that file or if you may need to upgrade the file on the Windows side to a more current version first.
    I successfully imported some QWin 2013 files last year, so I would expect 2016 files to work also.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    I suggest you visit Quicken's support pages for converting from Windows to Mac. Converting from Quicken Windows 2016 (or anything 2011 or greater) is supported. This page shows the steps...

https://www.quicken.com/support/converting-quicken-windows-quicken-mac-2016

... but I'd note that one part of it is out of date: it shows downloading a Windows converter utility program, but that has been replaced by uploading your data to a cloud converter.

Here is another page which walks through the conversion process:

https://www.quicken.com/support/converting-your-data-quicken-mac
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.