Downloading two separate accounts with same bank

Options
Husband and wife unknowingly opened two separate credit card accounts with same bank at Christmas time. Downloading into Quicken now requires opening two separate accounts, IDs, passwords and two separate downloads. Is there a way to merge the transactions into one account and make one payment? (We're not tech savvy so go slow)

Best Answer

• Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

As @splasher noted, this is a bank problem, not a quicken issue. I suggest you contact the credit card company, close one card and add a second user to the remaining card. Tell them what happened so you can be sure to keep the card with the highest credit limit and get separate user ids both associated with the same card. Once up and running you can hide the quicken account associated with the removed card.

The above would be the recommended above board way. Another more straightforward, but probably not what most would recommend, is to cut one card in half and just use the same Id for both of you going forward.

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

How do you propose to get the credit card company to accept a single payment and split that between two separate accounts?

I've never known a comapny that allowed that to happen.

Getting it to look like that in Quicken can be done with a split, but that doesn't get it done in the real world.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

As @splasher noted, this is a bank problem, not a quicken issue. I suggest you contact the credit card company, close one card and add a second user to the remaining card. Tell them what happened so you can be sure to keep the card with the highest credit limit and get separate user ids both associated with the same card. Once up and running you can hide the quicken account associated with the removed card.

The above would be the recommended above board way. Another more straightforward, but probably not what most would recommend, is to cut one card in half and just use the same Id for both of you going forward.

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• Helitac
    Helitac Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks guys! Two pronged attack (1) Call cc company to see if they will merge accounts into one. (2) cancel one card and add second party to my card. In the meantime, I downloaded transactions then cut/pasted to my account from second account. This issue came about because of credit card promotion.
This discussion has been closed.