Reconciliation issues

Hamelena
Hamelena Member ✭✭
having to go back and reconcile balances that were already cleared as BALANCED does not make sense. Nor does bringing up historical databases to find the issues. My balances are cleared and equal and yet QUICKEN does an update and I start having unreconciled balances. Why isn't the software working correctly? And since I've been online this is happening. Am I the only one that is paranoid here?

Answers

• Hamelena
    Hamelena Member ✭✭
    having to go back and reconcile balances that were already cleared as BALANCED does not make sense. Nor does bringing up historical databases to find the issues. My balances are cleared and equal and yet QUICKEN does an update and I start having unreconciled balances. Why isn't the software working correctly? And since I've been online this is happening. Am I the only one that is paranoid here?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

Without more details from you and seeing some screenshots, it's impossible to know for sure what's affecting your Quicken data. I'd take a look at syncing with Quicken Cloud as the most likely suspect. Do you have Sync (in Preferences > Mobile, Web & Alterts) turned on or off? If it's on, do you actively use the mobile app or web interface? If not, turning Sync off, followed by doing a Reset of Quicke Cloud (in Preferences > Connected Services) will prevent having your data in Quicken Cloud, and prevent Quicken Cloud data from overwriting your local data.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Hamelena
    Hamelena Member ✭✭
    Hi SYNC is off. here is the example: When I reconcile my account, which I do frequently, I am close to a zero discrepancy because I record each transaction, etc. Recently, in 2 different accounts (savings and checking) I was off by 400+ dollars even though I had just reconciled a few days before. On checking the bank transactions, all transaction were recorded. When I go into reconcile history, all of a sudden, I have transaction going back to October that are off or that I apparently reconciled despite balances being off. What might cause this?
  • mototom
    mototom Member ✭✭
    I'm not sure if it's the same issue, since it's unclear what is causing the OP's balance issues. But yesterday Quicken began using the banks available balance (including processing transactions that haven't cleared) as the Online Balance in reconciliation. Obviously that's not going to reconcile.
  • jacobs
    edited April 2023

@mototom The issue you describe is specific to a particular financial insitution. It's never been entirely clear to me whether the fault lies with the financial institution for improperly transmitting pending transactions or with Quicken for not filtering them out correctly. I suggest you pursue this with Quicken Support, so they can document the issue and escalate it to their connectivity team at Intuit.

This is a different issue than what @Hamelena is describing, with transactions from months ago being changed.

• Hamelena
    Hamelena Member ✭✭
    Hmm. I don't think so. I am reconciling each few days and then I have a balance issue and IN the quicken reconciliation history dating back to DECEMBER, it shows I have a balance discrepancy of the same amount. How, then, would it not show me that back in December?
    This makes me consider that someone is working with the institutions to remove money from my account and then backdate something that I can now not determine. its happened in all threee of my accounts for considerable amounts of money. One was 776!!!!
  • Hamelena
    Hamelena Member ✭✭
    @mototom Quicken should not be making any adjustments within my accounting what so ever. I should be the only one manually doing this... What am I missing here????
  • Hamelena
    Hamelena Member ✭✭
    Well maybe I sound paranoid but I am not clear how I missed (and I didn't) a $150 discrepancy . In fact, when I backdate, the discrepancy isn't there in my backup dated Feb 14th... So please explain to me what I might have done.... Because now I have one. It's as if I never reconciled one of my $150 dollar payouts, but I did.... so....
  • Hamelena
    Hamelena Member ✭✭
    And let's be real. A company may not have access, but they do.... And there are frequent updates from quicken how how the heck would anyone know. Just sayin....
  • floydfan
    floydfan Member ✭✭
    If you have Chase, I am having the same problem as some of you (and the same issue that was partially fixed last September). Now it's completely broken again. So the only good news is others are having the same issue. I cannot accept that this is only a problem on the bank's fault and not Quicken, because they must have thousands of users that are Chase customers.

To me this is an ongoing issue with Quicken that was never fixed. I've had little support from Quicken over this, and it's been rather tiresome. Already sent an error report through the Quicken Mac application so hopefully someone will get back to me.
  • jacobs
    edited April 2023

@floydfan Already sent an error report through the Quicken Mac application so hopefully someone will get back to me.

You will not get any response to a Report a Problem submission; that's a one-way channel into a black hole. If they can verify the bug you've reported, they document it and put it into their internal bug database to get fixed at some future date; if they can't verify what you report, they toss it. And there's no way to know whether they verified your submission or not; you can only hope. If you want interaction, your only path is to call Quicken Support, where you may or may not get a representative who understands the issue and can help with it.

@Hamelena I'm not buying into your paranoia or conspiracy theories. 😉 Quicken Mac is a straighforward account management program, and I don't believe either Quicken or “someone is working with the institutions to remove money from my account”. Unfortunately, it's hard to help diagnose these types of problems in an online forum because we're not seeing seeing any of the data. You're mentioning random dollar amounts of transactions, but we can't begin to understand what happened. We can try to dig in a little deeper…

First, you said that Sync is Off. Did you just recently turn it off, or has it always been off? This is important in trying to understand what might have happened in the past. Also, I suggested that you go to Preferences > Connected Services and Reset your Quicken Cloud; did you do that? If you previously had Sync turned on and never reset your Cloud file since you turned it off, that coud possibly be a source of trouble. With Sync turned off, clicking Reset for the Cloud insures that none of your account data or login credentials are stored in the cloud and that everything is locally-stored.

You said that in your Reconciliation History, it shows a discrepancy in a December reconciliation. If you click Re-Reconcile on that reconciliation, it should show you what Quicken thinks has changed: a new transaction in that period which was not there previously? a transaction previously there which has been edited or deleted? Work on only one account at a time, and try to determine what is off, when, and whether it resolves in a future reconciliation or not.

• PatLaroche
    PatLaroche Member
    Hello All. You aren't paranoid. I've the same issue from a long time ago and I'd hope to have release to fix it. I reconlie every weeks.

Regurlaly, transactions in the past changed (reconciled transactions)... I notice that's concerned only scheduled transactions...

Sometimes only the date change. But for example, sometimes I need change the amount of my pay check. And weeks later the amount is returned to the amount before change. When I go to split transaction window, I see the changed amount correctly, I save it, and the transaction reupdated with the good amount.

When I've only one transaction after that I succed to reconcile correctly, but I need to find which transaction cause problem, this is time consumming....

But last days, I changed my computer and I restored data from a backup and see a lot of transactions of my Home loan (calculated interest and capital amount) are missing from 2017.... :(

I do that more often in the last month, I'm tired to wait about the fix and found your post and I think we have probably the same problem...

On my side I use Quicken for Windows for Canada since 1999 and I'll turn off the sync off, but....
  • AndyMc
    AndyMc Member

I can confirm what is being said. I recently did an update and ended up with duplicate transactions from months ago. Now I am stuck trying to reconcile my checking account. I will admit that I am a month behind. So I am reconciling February's register. When I try to reconcile Quicken should show the last reconciled balance but it shows $691 over what it should be. That is the exact amount of my state tax refund that I got in March. Now I will admit that I may have entered it in February and updated the date once the money was deposited. So it was not in the February register.

NOt to mention when I tried to reconcile and adjust the opening balance to be correct, it didn't make a difference.

I am about to throw Quicken out the window. Before I got the monthly subscription, I would go years without updating and never had an issue. Now with monthly updates, it screws it up all the time. This is not the first time. Get your **** together! It's a simple accounting program, do we need updates every month.

Same thing with turbotax, everytime you load it there are updates. Jeez guys…..

See attachment for examples. Well there would have been attachments if you would allow Word documents to be uploaded. Really, get with the times…..

for everyone else, I was able to narrow down the issue and make adjustment entries, both credits and debits to make the reconcile work. but Intuit needs to fix their ****!!! I am sick and tired of having to do this crap every few months…..

• jacobs

@AndyMc Just for your information, Quicken isn't Intuit; Intuit used to own Quicken, but sold it off years ago.

As for Turbotax — which is from Intuit — it's true that there are updates every time one opens it. the US tax code is complex to a crazy degree, and I'm sure issues are found and fixes and tweaks are made continuously to improve the program's accuracy. Many changes probably affect only a tiny number of users, but don't you want them constantly improving the program to make sure it's as accurate as possible?

I have not experienced the types of problems you describe with Quicken; I've never had a past reconciliation change. For those who have had changes pop up, it is sometimes be due to a transaction downloading that Quicken doesn't filter out as one it has previously downloaded. (This is often due to the financial institution changing the transaction ID number of past transactions, so it's their fault rather than Quicken's.)

I like the regular Quicken updates, because the updates always contain bug fixes and new features. Not all of them affect me or are useful to me, but over time, I think we all derive some benefits from the updates. You can choose to skip any update(s) by dismissing the update dialog box when it pops up, although I admit that can get annoying if you open Quicken frequently.

Next time you want attachments, capture screen shots (.png or .jpg) rather than trying to upload a Word document. (For what it's worth, this website isn't designed by Quicken; it's a forum software product from a company called Vanilla, for which Quicken is just a user.)

• timetrips
    timetrips Member

I'm having a similiar Reconciliation issue. I do this every week and it was fine last week. Now this week I have a $2850 balance reconciliation descrepancy. It says I have more cleared items than the bank statement but I've checked and that is not true. I also have one transaction from early in the month (4/2) for a transfer to my savings account for exactly $2850. It is a Cleared and Reconciled transaction. something has happened to quicken in the last week (at least from my prespective). I also had difficulty reconciling my savings account, the recently downloaded interest transaction showed up as its supposed to and marked as "Cleared" but reconciliation reported I'm off by EXACTLY that transaction amount. Very frustrating.

• SANDYMC
    SANDYMC Member

I recently had to purchase the new version thru 5/4/2024 and have not reconciled my checking account t since 1/1/2023. I started with Jan- 2023 and have entered all activity and now would like to reconcile the account but the system will not to click on the option. I talked with the geek squad at Best Buy and they told me they had heard of this issue in the past. What do I need to do?

• jacobs

@SANDYMC What are you doing to try to reconcile. If the Reconcile button is grayed out, it's likely because you haven't clicked on the actual account in the left sidebar. Have you clicked on the "Cash" or "Banking" heading? You need to click on the actual checking account name — then Reconcile will be available.

This discussion has been closed.