Why is simple investment tracking disabled for some accounts in mac 6.12?

CindyLV
CindyLV Member
edited April 2023 in Investing (Mac)
For some investment accounts you can choose simple or detailed investment tracking. For some accounts, the simple tracking method is greyed out. Why? Is there a way to enable it?

Answers

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

Simple tracking is only available for connected accounts. Offline accounts can only be detailed.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• CindyLV
    CindyLV Member
    Right. Somehow one of my accounts was no longer connected. But you are right, once I fixed that, I could choose either type of tracking on the account.
  • A-adrift
    A-adrift Member ✭✭
    Is there a way to create a Simple Tracking account that is not connected?
  • Jon
    edited March 2023

Is there a way to create a Simple Tracking account that is not connected?

You could make up a fictitious security & say all your money was invested in that, instead of tracking the actual investments. You'd have just one single number to update whenever you feel like updating the account value. That's about as close as you're going to get.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

@Jon This is probably a stupid question, but how do you do what you suggested? If the account is not connected, you can't set it to Simple Tracking.

Are you suggesting to actualy use a Detailed Tracking manual account? (If you're a Star Trek fan, that's a Kobayashi Maru maneuver; you've changed the rules. 😉 ) So are you suggesting:

• Create a manual (not connected for downloading) brokerage account, which is automatically set to Detailed Tracking.
    • Enter one transaction: an Add Shares transaction to add 1 share of a dummy security
    • Edit the security price history on an ongoing basis to reflect the value of the account over time

Seems like more work than it's worth, but I guess this is sort of a not-connected account without entering detailed transactions.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Jon

@jacobs Yes, that's what I'm suggesting. It's a detailed account but with as few details as possible to minimize the amount fo work involved.

This discussion has been closed.