TIPS Treasury Inflation Protected Securities, handling the inflation factor.

Options
Ljacobsohn
Ljacobsohn Member
edited April 2023 in Investing (Windows)
Just bought a TIPS in the secondary market, how do you enter it in Quicken. The inflation factor was 1.41 and I bought it at near PAR 100.091. After it downloaded from Vanguard it looks like I a have a $41,000 loss because I bought a $100,000 face which has a $141,000 prin bal.

Don't tell me Quicken has never programed the product to address TIPS and the inflation factor.!!

Comments

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

“Factors” for bond pricing are not handled by Quicken UNLESS the financial institution sends a quote with the factor included in the calculation of current price. Some do (apparently) and some don't. What financial institution holds the Account the TIPS is in? With the popularity of these bonds these days they might be willing to send the factor adjusted price if enough people ask for it.

In the meantime though you'll have to enter the adjusted quote figure by hand for accuracy.

• Ljacobsohn
    Ljacobsohn Member
    Options

It's Vanguard.

Where do I enter the factor?

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You don't “enter” the factor in Quicken, you use the factor, combined with the quote provided, to come up with the correct price of the bond.

Apparently Fidelity does it correctly:

This discussion has been closed.