Stock Transactions Not Downloading But Cash Transactions Are

Options
saberman
saberman Member ✭✭✭

Home, Business & Rental Property Version R47.15, Build 27.147.15, Windows 10 Enterprise
Investment account is at Fidelity.

I have been having a number of problems downloading option transactions. I do a lot of trading on the day before options expire and on the day they expire. Occassionally, a days transactions would refer to the security as an expired option without containing to correct code for the option. Recently, I am unable to download any trading activity. The last trading date that provided transactions was 2/23/23. Since then the only transaction download was for Div on the cash balance in the account. So I am missing trading data for 2/24 and 3/2. I will find out Monday (3/6) evening if I get trading data for 3/3.

Nobody at Fidelity has any idea what might be causing the problem.

I thought it might be a date selection problem but then why did I get the Div transaction? Is there a setting for the type of transactions to download (i.e. cash or trading)?

Where is the date of the last download kept — is it in Quicken or Fidelity? Can I reset it before I got the last sucessful download so I can see if those records come down again?

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Fidelity uses the Direct Connect method of downloading. The way that works - or is supposed to work - is that each transaction in your Fidelity account is coded by Fidelity as required by the OFX protocol and that transaction is sent to a Fidelity server. When you ask for a download from Fideltity Quicken (the program) connects to that server and asks that information be sent to your computer. The information comes down to Quicken which adds it to the OFX log and processes the transactions which it “understands” because of the OFX coding prepared by Fidelity.

So if something isn't working properly the first place I'd look is in the OFX log itself to see if transactions are missing or coded improperly. That's not to say that something isn't wrong on Quicken's end, but because the flow stars with Fidelity, that's the place to start.

Help > Contact Support > Log Files

The log files can be difficult to read but you can do a search in the log file for the dollar amount of that dividend that did download, and then look at downloads before and after that transaction to see if you can spot the missing transactons. I don't know if you've spoken to a Fideltiy tech person that understands how Quicken works and if you haven't, try to run that guy (or gal) down.

• saberman
    saberman Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Options

Looked at the OFX log. I found the last set of downloaded trades that were made on 2/23/23. The only thing I could find past that was the dividend paid on 2/28/23. The trades for 2/24 and 3/2 were missing from the file. Does that mean that Quicken failed to ask for them or that Fidelity failed to provide them?

I was asked by Fidelity to supply an OFXLOG file and another one a while ago. Their user support people and their technical people keep passing the buck back and forth.

BTW, the OFX log contains data going back to the beginning of June 2022. How far back does the OFX data that Fidelity has go? It appears the Help > Contact Support > Log Files > OFX Log pulls the last nine months.

If I log into the Fidelity website and look at the activity history for the account in question all of the trades and the dividend are there. So it appears that the information is in the Fidelity system. If the OFXLOG file and the activity information are sourced from the same database some very strange filtering is going on when the OFXLOG file is generated.

• Tom Young
    Options

“Looked at the OFX log. I found the last set of downloaded trades that were made on 2/23/23. The only thing I could find past that was the dividend paid on 2/28/23. The trades for 2/24 and 3/2 were missing from the file. Does that mean that Quicken failed to ask for them or that Fidelity failed to provide them?”

I would say the latter is the case.

I'm not an expert in the OFX protocol but looking at my own OFX log files it's pretty clear to me that Quicken doesn't selectively ask for anything, it just takes all the information offered by the financial institution. That is, if I select a transaction - a credit card charge say, to make it easy - that transaction comes down again and again as I do One Step Updates day after day. Because each transaction has an ID associated with it Quicken “knows” it's seen that transaction before and doesn't present it as a new transaction. This continues, I believe, until Quicken creates a new OFX log file or the transaction is older than the date of the earliest transaction available to download.

So my thought is that the error is on Fidelity's end, some problem with their OFX server.

“BTW, the OFX log contains data going back to the beginning of June 2022. How far back does the OFX data that Fidelity has go? It appears the Help > Contact Support > Log Files > OFX Log pulls the last nine months. ”

Each financial institution sets its own window of time as to how long downloads are available. Ninety days seems to be a common time frame, but Schwab - before they dropped Direct Connect - used to make downloads available for much longer than that.

“If I log into the Fidelity website and look at the activity history for the account in question all of the trades and the dividend are there. So it appears that the information is in the Fidelity system. If the OFXLOG file and the activity information are sourced from the same database some very strange filtering is going on when the OFXLOG file is generated.”

I'd say that's the case. It seems like the direct question to Fidelity is along the lines of “your site shows I made this particular trade on this particular date, but the OFX log sent from your server to Quicken omits it and why is that?”

• dctokach
    dctokach Member ✭✭
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. Particularly for the dates 2/23 and 3/2.
  • saberman
    saberman Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@Tom Young

>until Quicken creates a new OFX log file
    Does Quicken create a new OFX log file or does Fidelity create the OFX log file and pass it, in its entirety, to Quicken? If the former, then Quicken accesses a Fidelity database and decides what goes into the OFX log file. If the later then Fidelity decides what data to extract and include in the OFX log file.

• saberman
    saberman Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@dctokach

Have you traded any options the day before and/or the day of expiration and had them come through with expired option codes instead of the proper security id for the option?

• Tom Young
    edited March 2023
    Options

@saberman

I assume that it's Quicken that's does the the creating. If you look in your Quicken folder you'll see a file named “[data file name]OFXLOG” and right below that another file named “[data file name]OFXOLD” and both files contain all the downloads from all the FI's for a period of time.

• saberman
    saberman Member ✭✭✭
    Options

>look in your Quicken folder
    I am sorry but I don't know what folder you are refering to. Please provide the path.

I did a Help/Quicken Support/Log Files and captured the current log file. It contained:
    <!-- ***** RECV from https://ofx.fidelity.com/ftgw/OFX/clients/download at 17:36:05 on 20220604 ***** -->
    This implies that the entire file (or at least the data) was received from Fidelity. It is not a file that Quicken maintains.

However, when I requested the old file it contained:
    <!-- ***** RECV from https://ofx-prod-brand.intuit.com/qw2800/fib.dll at 18:44:51 on 20211204 ***** -->
    Which makes no sense.

This discussion has been closed.