Paycheck Transactions changed

notdeedee
notdeedee Member ✭✭
Has anyone had an experience with all paycheck information being changed. All of my entered paycheck breakdown, (federal taxes, medicare, etc) was wiped out going back several years. How do I get this information back?

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @notdeedee ,

We are sorry about this problem with lost information. Thank you for asking about this here on the Quicken Community.

When did this occur? Have you tried restoring from a recent backup? We recommend saving backups frequently by navigating to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Provided that this has been done often, you should be able to restore from a backup that was saved just prior to when this issue emerged by navigating to File > Restore from backup... in the same menu. I am curious about whether or not this problem continues in the restored file. 

I look forward to your response.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

@wi_muggs If you use the Paycheck feature in Quicken you may have been hit by the paycheck corruption issue that started in March 2022. This post covers that issue: 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Ben
    Ben Member ✭✭✭

I had an issue a while back that after editing my paycheck series, it corrupted all the prior paychecks that used that same reminder. I had to go back and manually fix all the broken paychecks, which was further made worse by some of the accounts that the paychecks went into were closed. Quicken didn't allow me to re-open a closed account, so I had to recreate those accounts and move all the transactions over in order to fix my paychecks. It was a huge pain and took hours to figure out and resolve.

I don't edit paychecks anymore. I delete them and create new ones. I made a habbit of recreating my paychecks at the start of each year as well. I also no longer use the “close account” feature. I just rename the accounts with a !X and hide them from my register.

• wi_muggs
    wi_muggs Member ✭✭✭
    I can't believe that Quicken is unable to find a resolution to this issue with the Paychecks. I have been a long time user of Quicken 20+ years and this is the worst. I have spent hours trying to fix this. The data of the paychecks have to be in a file, due to it showing the information when you hover over the paycheck. It just when you try to edit it, the data is not available. Where is the disconnect in these two functions?

I also don't understand why an update would have change data in transactions that were entered previously.

Quicken has lost my confidence in their product. It may be time to look at other applications to track my finances.
  • kailuaken
    kailuaken Member ✭✭

This is very frustrating and has been a long standing problem with the quicken paycheck feature. Today, the Quicken app notified me that it needed to revalidate my account settings with my bank account. I completed the validation, only to find the validation process somehow erased all of the paycheck information for some of this year's paychecks and most of last years paychecks, throwing off the balances in several other accounts that get transfers from my paycheck. So what I see now is that the net amount of the paycheck still shows in quicken, but all of the splits (taxes, 401k contributions, transfers, etc) are all gone. I pulled up my most recent backup (about 2 weeks old), but it will take me about 2 hours to get back to the point I was before the data got corrupted. VERY frustrating. I agree with seeking out other solutions, and have honestly tried a few others, but all of them lack the sophistication and robust automated downloading that quicken offers, so I'm kind of stuck with Quicken. I'd actually prefer if Quicken removed the paycheck feature since they can't get it right, and provide another option.

• CSlouis
    CSlouis Member ✭✭
    Once Intuit sold quicken, there have been numerous issues like this. It is still the best personal finance software out there, but it isn't good software anymore.
  • Robert Chiarulli
    Robert Chiarulli Member ✭✭✭

Happened to me as well. Had to restore a backup.

• Robert Chiarulli
    Robert Chiarulli Member ✭✭✭

Has the cause been determined?

Any response from Quicken?

• notdeedee
    notdeedee Member ✭✭
    Hello Jared
    I save my files (Back up ) after each use. I went back to 2021 and the pay check info I previously entered is gone. Interestingly it only impacted my paycheck and not my spouses though both were entered the same way. I don't understand how restoring a back up file will help me. As you might guess. I make several changes each time I open to update quicken. I may modify a budget, catergorize expenses, add new accounts, etc. If I restore from a back up it will fix the paycheck issue but dirupt everything else. For example . If I go back two years to restore my paycheck info... I don't even want to think about what else may be disrupted. Do you have a better answer. Since it is a programing issue it seems like there should be a better answer?

> @Quicken Jared said:
    > Hello @notdeedee ,
    >
    > We are sorry about this problem with lost information. Thank you for asking about this here on the Quicken Community.
    >
    > When did this occur? Have you tried restoring from a recent backup? We recommend saving backups frequently by navigating to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Provided that this has been done often, you should be able to restore from a backup that was saved just prior to when this issue emerged by navigating to File > Restore from backup... in the same menu. I am curious about whether or not this problem continues in the restored file. 
    >
    > I look forward to your response.
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Quicken Jared
  • mshiggins

@notdeedee , @Quicken Jared is no longer a moderator here.

You would need to restore a backup from before the paycheck corruption happened. Being that this issue has been reported since March 2022, you may need to go to a backup from that time frame and rebuild your data from there. Others have just re-entered all the corrupted paychecks.

The reason your paychecks are corrupted and your husband's are not, is only your paycheck reminder was caught in the corruption. Apparently the corruption causes all paycheck transactions entered with the problem paycheck reminder to match the values from the reminder. Any variation in amounts you may have edited in individual paycheck transactions is reset to the reminder value.

There is more detail in the post referenced in my prior post in this discussion:

• AndyNon7
    AndyNon7 Member

Telling us to restore to a backup from over a year ago is not a solution.

Is there an easier way to recreate just the paycheck transactions that are corrupted? I use the wizard normally, but the wizard will not let me go back to those old transactions because it believes those have already been entered.

• mshiggins

Unfortunately there are no good solutions. There is only a selection of arduous or more arduous solutions. It's up to you determine which unpleasant solution you want to use.

Your options are:

1. Restore an uncorrupted backup and rebuild the intervening data.
    2. Manually correct each corrupted paycheck transaction. *
    3. Delete all the bad paycheck entries, learn QIF, and create and import a QIF file with all the paychecks as regular split transactions.
    4. Start a new data file with just 2023 data.

_* You might be able to do some virtual time travel by setting your computer back to a date before the earliest paycheck you want to re-enter and use the reminder to re-enter the paycheck transactions.

• ldrc2003
    ldrc2003 Member

I just updated to Quicken R48.18, and my paycheck data back to 4/28/2017 was erased, affecting even an old 401k account. Unfortunately, my last backup was 8 months ago. I just found this topic. Is there anything I can do without having to lose 8 months of data entry for other accounts?

• mshiggins

Search your hard drive for files that match *.qdf*

The version update is supposed to make a backup before it applies the version patch.

This discussion has been closed.