Paycheck Corruption Problem

Options
RJG1401
RJG1401 Member ✭✭
I've read a lot about this problem but can't find a solution I can understand how to implement. I've been using quicken for over 20 years and this has created a pervasive problem. Is there no way to restore old paychecks without going back to a previous backup? Any way to selectively restore certain transactions? I don't even know how to figure out which backup would be correct and how far back I would have to go to recreate back to current. Any assistance would be helpful.

Best Answer

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    If you are experiencing this problem, your choices are to find and manually correct the damaged paycheck splits or to restore a backup from before you installed R39.17 (probably about March 4) and re-enter all your transactions since then. Re-entering should not be too painful if you follow these instructions:

Please go to Help > About Quicken and let us know what version you are running now.

When did you first see this problem? Was it before or after Mar. 4, when R39.17 was first released?

Previous to the current version, did you ever have R39.17 or R39.21 installed?

In the affected account, have you ever used the Paycheck Wizard to enter the split transfers in your paycheck?

Does the problem affect the Net Worth and Account Balances Reports?

If your answers are After Mar. 4, Yes ran R39.17 or R39.21, Yes have used Paycheck Wizard, and Yes affects Account Balances report, you have probably encountered the problem discussed here:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7909601/r39-17-r39-21-paycheck-corruption-edited/p1

If this is your problem, you should update to R39.23 or newer, which fixes this problem going forward.

Then print a report that shows all the transactions you have entered since the problem occurred, in case you need to re-enter them. Go to Reports > Banking transactions. Set the Date range to Custom and set the starting date to 3/4/2022. Choose Subtotal by Account. Click the Customize gear at the top right of the report and check the Show splits box. Under Show Columns, you can un-check the Tax item box to make the report narrower. Click OK to display the report. Adjust the column widths if necessary, then print the report.

Then you should back up your current data file in case you want to return to it and restore a backup from before you installed R39.17. This would be about March 4. Verify that the problem is no longer present in the restored backup.

If the problem is still present in the restored backup, you have a different problem. You should return to your newer file and investigate further.

If the problem is not present in the restored backup, you will have to keep the backup and re-enter any transactions you entered since then. 

Accept Reminders as you normally would. Be careful when accepting Bill Pay reminders to avoid double payments. Then you can download transactions and accept them as you normally would. Compare the transactions in your registers to those in the report you printed earlier and enter anything that is missing. 

See this Announcement

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7909593/windows-r39-xx-release-us

QWin Premier subscription

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    If you are experiencing this problem, your choices are to find and manually correct the damaged paycheck splits or to restore a backup from before you installed R39.17 (probably about March 4) and re-enter all your transactions since then. Re-entering should not be too painful if you follow these instructions:

Please go to Help > About Quicken and let us know what version you are running now.

When did you first see this problem? Was it before or after Mar. 4, when R39.17 was first released?

Previous to the current version, did you ever have R39.17 or R39.21 installed?

In the affected account, have you ever used the Paycheck Wizard to enter the split transfers in your paycheck?

Does the problem affect the Net Worth and Account Balances Reports?

If your answers are After Mar. 4, Yes ran R39.17 or R39.21, Yes have used Paycheck Wizard, and Yes affects Account Balances report, you have probably encountered the problem discussed here:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7909601/r39-17-r39-21-paycheck-corruption-edited/p1

If this is your problem, you should update to R39.23 or newer, which fixes this problem going forward.

Then print a report that shows all the transactions you have entered since the problem occurred, in case you need to re-enter them. Go to Reports > Banking transactions. Set the Date range to Custom and set the starting date to 3/4/2022. Choose Subtotal by Account. Click the Customize gear at the top right of the report and check the Show splits box. Under Show Columns, you can un-check the Tax item box to make the report narrower. Click OK to display the report. Adjust the column widths if necessary, then print the report.

Then you should back up your current data file in case you want to return to it and restore a backup from before you installed R39.17. This would be about March 4. Verify that the problem is no longer present in the restored backup.

If the problem is still present in the restored backup, you have a different problem. You should return to your newer file and investigate further.

If the problem is not present in the restored backup, you will have to keep the backup and re-enter any transactions you entered since then. 

Accept Reminders as you normally would. Be careful when accepting Bill Pay reminders to avoid double payments. Then you can download transactions and accept them as you normally would. Compare the transactions in your registers to those in the report you printed earlier and enter anything that is missing. 

See this Announcement

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7909593/windows-r39-xx-release-us

QWin Premier subscription
  • RJG1401
    RJG1401 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you. This is very helpful. Although I've been using Quicken forever, I've never had a problem like this before. I will let you know how my fix turns out. My backup before March 4 was Feb 27
  • RJG1401
    RJG1401 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I again want to thank Jim Harman for his detailed notes and guidance. Unfortunately I discovered this problem almost 50 days after it occurred. 7 hours of re-entering and reconciling accounts to finally get this problem fixed! It seems like quicken should provide some form of discount on their subscription model.
This discussion has been closed.