Having problems with Categories and Downloaded Transactions

Options
deex2
deex2 Member ✭✭
Hi, I'm hoping someone can help. I try to be as clear as possible. Here is the scene/situation:
Ok so i receive a check from my tenant once a month into my checking account. That check on the 2nd of the month is automatically broken down by my bank putting various sums into various savings accounts (at the same bank). Everything is fine on the banks end, correct amounts go into correct accounts and it has been this way for several years. When I update my account(s) in Quicken via update the total of the rent check is deposited into my checking and the correct disbursement sums are downloading into the correct accounts with in Quicken, until the last couple of months.

Here is the situation: "IN QUICKEN" NOW after I update/download my bank transactions the tenants check downloads into my checking correctly. Then within checking the various designated amounts are broken out correctly BUT they are all broken out and ending up into one and only one category/account. So in checking instead of the $1000 being split between category A, B, C, D, E, checking is putting each amount $200, 200, 200...... all into let say account "B" vs each amount into its designated account/category. THEN in one of the other accounts lets say "D" it is randomly withdrawing the correct amounts and putting them into their correct spots, then leaving account "D" with a positive $1000 and the other account "B" with a negative $1000 yet each of the individual accounts show their correct amounts. Oh and for some reason one of my credit card accounts gets pulled into this category mess too.

I know this is confusing and whack. Just take a stab at it and see if you can help me figure out why this is happening. I have done Super Validate... no errors. I have just manually been going into the various accounts and correcting things, but I want to know what is going wrong. Seems like there is constantly something going wrong with these Quicken accounts, files, program.

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If I follow you correctly, your tenant's check is deposited into your checking account and the bank automtically transfers portions of the deposit to several different savings accounts. There are corresponding accounts in Quicken and until recently Quicken tracked the deposits and transfers correctly, but now the transferred money is ending up in the wrong Quicken accounts.

My guess would be that Quicken's automatic transfer detection is getting confused somehow.

I suggest you set up a manual Reminder for the tenant's deposit. If the bank downloads one transaction into your checking account for the net amount of the deposit, after the transfers have been taken out, the Reminder should have splits for its Categories, with the full amount of the deposit and a separate line for each transfer, with the transfer accounts in [square brackets] as the Category and the amounts entered as negative numbers.

If there are separate transactions downloaded for the deposit and the transfers, you should make separate Reminders for the transfers.

You should manually or automatically accept the reminder(s) on or before the date you receive the deposit. That way Quicken will know where each transfer should go and will be able to accurately match the downloaded transactions with the data you have entered in Quicken.

QWin Premier subscription
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Options

Hi @deex2

First a question. Above you say “and the correct disbursement sums are downloading into the correct accounts with in Quicken, until the last couple of months” - but you did not say how those allocations of funds to various accounts were being made. Were they transfers that the bank made for you, or were they transfers that you made in Quicken and then transmitted them to the bank?

Also, another question is whether these "incorrect transfers' are real - as far as the bank's records are concerned (where you have the possibility of overdrawing one account at the bank in the real world) or are they just within your Quicken file (where the amounts are incorrect but there is no possibility of overdrawing any bank account)?

Get back to us and we'll see if we can help.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• deex2
    deex2 Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @Frankx said:
    > Hi @deex2
    >
    > First a question. Above you say “and the correct disbursement sums are downloading into the correct accounts with in Quicken, until the last couple of months” - but you did not say how those allocations of funds to various accounts were being made. Were they transfers that the bank made for you, or were they transfers that you made in Quicken and then transmitted them to the bank?
    >
    > Also, another question is whether these "incorrect transfers' are real - as far as the bank's records are concerned (where you have the possibility of overdrawing one account at the bank in the real world) or are they just within your Quicken file (where the amounts are incorrect but there is nop possibility of overdrawing any bank account)?
    >
    > Get back to us and we'll see if we can help.
    >
    > Frankx

The various amounts/disbursements from the "rent check" are transferred/deposited into the various actual accounts at the bank first.
  • deex2
    deex2 Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @Jim_Harman said:
    > If I follow you correctly, your tenant's check is deposited into your checking account and the bank automtically transfers portions of the deposit to several different savings accounts. There are corresponding accounts in Quicken and until recently Quicken tracked the deposits and transfers correctly, but now the transferred money is ending up in the wrong Quicken accounts.
    >
    > My guess would be that Quicken's automatic transfer detection is getting confused somehow.
    >
    > I suggest you set up a manual Reminder for the tenant's deposit. If the bank downloads one transaction into your checking account for the net amount of the deposit, after the transfers have been taken out, the Reminder should have splits for its Categories, with the full amount of the deposit and a separate line for each transfer, with the transfer accounts in [square brackets] as the Category and the amounts entered as negative numbers.
    >
    > If there are separate transactions downloaded for the deposit and the transfers, you should make separate Reminders for the transfers.
    >
    > You should manually or automatically accept the reminder(s) on or before the date you receive the deposit. That way Quicken will know where each transfer should go and will be able to accurately match the downloaded transactions with the data you have entered in Quicken.

Thank you for your help and suggestion although a little confusing. I will check/research how to do that and give it a try.
This discussion has been closed.