Anyone else have this issue - Opening Balance changed ?

britgrit
britgrit Member ✭✭
I just sent a report to Quicken about this:

Due to connectivity issues there have been many occasions this year that have necessitated deactivating, and then adding back "online services", after which I have repeatedly found it impossible to balance my accounts.
I have finally tracked this down to the fact that Quicken is actually changing the "Opening Balance" in the register!

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is one of the many discussions on Quicken changing the amount of the opening balance transaction:

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023

Which version of QWin are you running? (Help > About Quicken)

R46.9 supposedly fixed this issue so if you are running any version older than that then it might be time to update your QWin installation. But I would not update to any R46.XX version because of other issues with them. I am running R47.15 and it has been pretty stable as far as I can tell. So, I would suggest updating to that using the Mondo patch for it ( https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product ) if you are running an older version of QWin.

If you have not already corrected the Opening Balance transaction dollar amount(s) or have not been able to find out what they were, I would suggest that you open an older backup file (from before when you started experiencing this issue) so you can make note of what the correct dollar amounts are. Then open your main data file, again, and make the corrections there.

Also, as a safety measure going forward: Enter the Opening Balance transaction dollar amount into the Memo field for each of your accounts. Then if the Opening Balance transaction amount should for some reason get changed it can be easily recovered by looking at the Memo field.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

This has popped up with the recent migrations to EWC+ for online downloading.

A general forum suggestion - is to go thru each of your accounts,
    and look for the original Opening Balance transaction and enter that amount into the Memo field -
    done for safe keeping - in case it happens again…

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.