How do I add columns in reports

Options
vjaggarwal508
vjaggarwal508 Member ✭✭

Let us say I want to add "Purchase date" of a security in an investment report. How do I do that.

Best Answer

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Probably the reason a "Purchase date" column is not available in most Quicken investing reports is that it applies to the individual tax lots of the security and thus does not apply to most of the reports. For bonds, however, you can see the purchase date in the Bond Maturity report.

To expand on @mshiggins response, the way to view or print purchase dates for the tax lots of other securities is to use an Investing > Portfolio view. These are actually very flexible.

• Next to Group by:, pick Accounts.
    • Click on the plus sign next to an individual security or Expand all at the bottom to view the lots for all your current holdings. This will display the purchase date for each tax lot.
    • To see holdings as of a different date, set the date next to As of:
    • To see closed lots, click on Options at the top right and select Show closed lots.
    • To select accounts, securities, and columns to include, click Customize
    • To print or export, go to File > Print or hit Ctrl-P.

The Portfolio views are spreadsheet-like and not pretty, but the data is there.

QWin Premier subscription

Answers

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If a column is not available in a report, you can't add other columns. You'll want to use a report that has the column(s) you are looking for.

Purchase date will be available in capital gains reports for securities you have sold. For purchase dates for securities you currently own, use an existing or customize a Portfolio view to show the info you want, then "print" to an export format that can be opened in Excel.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• vjaggarwal508
    vjaggarwal508 Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you so much MShiggins. Appreciate your prompt response. Did not expect it.

I looked for reports that had "purchase date" in it already, but could not find it. It seems that all reports use the same template to add columns or filter criteria. That select box does not have many fields, including purchase date.

I have been using Quicking for over 25 years. It was great when I first started. But the world has passed Quicken. Quicken's foundation software has remained the same - archaic. Quicken keeps asking for $50-$70 every year but there is no fundamental change in the architecture to allow users to customize and look at data. Frustrating. Feel like a captive audience. Sorry to say this. There is not much on youtube also, mostly because this is a dying product. Really frustrated. Need a way to get out of Quicken.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Probably the reason a "Purchase date" column is not available in most Quicken investing reports is that it applies to the individual tax lots of the security and thus does not apply to most of the reports. For bonds, however, you can see the purchase date in the Bond Maturity report.

To expand on @mshiggins response, the way to view or print purchase dates for the tax lots of other securities is to use an Investing > Portfolio view. These are actually very flexible.

• Next to Group by:, pick Accounts.
    • Click on the plus sign next to an individual security or Expand all at the bottom to view the lots for all your current holdings. This will display the purchase date for each tax lot.
    • To see holdings as of a different date, set the date next to As of:
    • To see closed lots, click on Options at the top right and select Show closed lots.
    • To select accounts, securities, and columns to include, click Customize
    • To print or export, go to File > Print or hit Ctrl-P.

The Portfolio views are spreadsheet-like and not pretty, but the data is there.

QWin Premier subscription
  • vjaggarwal508
    vjaggarwal508 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Jim, this was very helpful. Thank you so much for the prompt response.
    Although I got the result, but the solution was not at all intuitive. Quicken does not seem to be a SQL based application. It seems to be based on the old cold writing mechanism. Every line of code is tweaked, code is perhaps written in C/C++. It also does not display well on multiple screens and does not integrate well with the new window options. Sizing is a pain.

Even during printing, luckily I saw the .csv option to allow Excel to pick it up.

I have been using Quicken for 20+ years. Time to move over to something that can allow me to monitor my investments. I have many 100's of equities and personal accounts. It will be a challenge at first to move, but clearly Quicken is forcing me to think that way.

Thank you so much for your help.
This discussion has been closed.